Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Midsummer in the Sierra

So Cal is not for everybody. You have take it for what it is.

I had a dream once that I had moved to LA. There was nothing to do but go to the movies. I found a river and I was sad because it was the only river we had. Then, as I watched, it dried up and there was a street underneath it and soon cars were driving up and down the street and I was even sadder. Weird dream but reflects my thoughts on LA.

Looks like the USFS is closing all the California national forests for two weeks, through September 17th. If this year ends up like the last one that could be a while...

I managed to get a few more Sierra trips in this season before the closure.

Guess I'll stick to warmwater and surf fishing until the rain comes.

That is a nice bunch of fish. Good to see you are out there. I have been chasing the bass since they started biting in the spring. I used to be all trout all the time but now it is all bass. Funny how things change.

I expect the forest closure will continue until it snows. That Caldor fire is a monster. I have a small forest service cabin up there and it looks like they made a stand there and saved the group of 15 cabins it is a part of. There is a four foot diameter ponderosa pine right next to the cabin. It will do my heart good to see that tree alive and well. Here is my dog sitting in front of the cabin and the tree.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7C125ABF-3831-4DE3-BA93-6702B521AD34.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	588.7 KB 
ID:	17339  
    Last edited by John H; 08-30-2021 at 08:55 PM.

Do you think the fire has spared Murray Camp? I used to fish with a friend who had a cabin there in the 60's .

We used the cabin as a staging area for the Rubicon river, and bunker hill, and ????? that was closer.

regards gene

Good to hear your cabin got spared, John. A friend of a friend went through something similar recently, though in a different area (somewhat NE of Tahoe, I believe), on his retirement property. Scary stuff. Your dog does look very contented.

When temps cool down a bit more I'll probably go look for smallmouth in some of the quieter places, and fish for the usual suspects otherwise

Beautiful pictures! Is the last picture of Evolution lake? Nice looking fish to.
    Thanks for sharing.

Nope, that lake is about 900' higher than Evolution.

Gotcha, looked like the Evolution lake above Evolution valley. Been thinking of heading up this year. But with all the fires and National Forest closed. Looks like it will be next year.

The national parks are still open (except Lassen).