Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utah and Wyoming DIY fishing?

Default Utah and Wyoming DIY fishing?

Hi All,

My wife and I will be driving through Salt Lake City Utah and up towards Rock Springs Wyoming,
    then onto eastern Wyoming in a couple weeks.

Just wondering on any suggestions for DIY fly fishing in these areas. Not really a fishing trip
    as we're driving across the US, but would like to stop and fish along the way if possible.

Thanks,
    EricO

Lots of good fishing out that way. Green River basin, Hams Fork, heaps of small streams. Cool stuff in the Uintas but a bit out of the way.

Yea, on the way back he can stop at 10 sleep in Wyoming for a few days to rest and fish

Definitely stop in Ten Sleep. Get a chocolate malt at Dirty Sally's. Any crick you come across out there will be better than anything you fish out here. Granted, my frame of reference here is nearly 30 years ago but you should have no trouble finding productive water. I do remember there was a tail water by Thermopolis below Boysen Reservoir that everybody said had big fish in it.

Quote Originally Posted by EricO View Post
    Hi All,

My wife and I will be driving through Salt Lake City Utah and up towards Rock Springs Wyoming,
    then onto eastern Wyoming in a couple weeks.

Just wondering on any suggestions for DIY fly fishing in these areas. Not really a fishing trip
    as we're driving across the US, but would like to stop and fish along the way if possible.

Thanks,
    EricO

You'll be driving right along the middle section of the Weber River on I-80 after you leave Salt Lake. About 30 minutes east.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I'm completely unfamiliar with the area
    so this gives us a great start.

Really appreciate it!!! Will report back.

EricO

Farther east, the North Platte has some nice trout. There are several fly shops in Casper, WY that post reports online.
    Best of luck.
    patrick

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
    Farther east, the North Platte has some nice trout. There are several fly shops in Casper, WY that post reports online.
    Best of luck.
    Thanks Patrick!

I would give the Provo River a try outside Park city and Heber City. There are some nice public access points down the hill from Park city on river road. There can be some surprisingly large fish. I think there’s the Trout Bum fly shop in Park City also was one in Herber too. Decent lodging and food.

Tight Lines

Jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

EricO, PM sent.

NK