Thread: Sad news regarding the Dolores River

Default Sad news regarding the Dolores River

Sad

We cannot keep moving people in to regions and taking more and more water with no effect.

Default Water Issues....

Larry,.... That's a sorry state of affairs for the Dolores River but I think we'll be seeing more of that condition for streams/rivers in the Colorado River and California river drainages as this year progresses.

Mr T,.... Agreed but housing development is only part of the problem. BigAg/industrial users are the recipients of the lions share of water in both drainages.... A reasonable level of restraint on demand by all user groups is what is called for.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

My daughter told me that in California our AG/Industry (golf courses?) is about 85% of the water use and Residential is about 15%.

Water Barrens are now counting the CA water "wasted to the ocean" yearly.

The big CA water plan (1850s) includes a dam across the Golden Gate.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Golf Courses....

"The big CA water plan (1850s) includes a dam across the Golden Gate." That one made me laugh as I've wondered when the water wizards were going to propose placing a dam in the Carquinez Straights?? (tongue firmly placed in cheek)

As it's been pointed out on this Forum in the past, golf courses use re-cycled water to keep everything green. If that drainage water is recovered/treated for potential pollutants it can be recycled again....

BigAg and industrial users are the major recipients in Calif. Here, Big Ag receives water from the CVP/SWP's uses it for irrigation and then returns it along with polluted with mineral salts, fertilizers, and insecticides to a collection area (San Luis Drain for example) or drains it directly to a waterway (untreated for the most part). No different along the Colorado River drainage.

Demands on water whether in drought conditions or not far exceeds that available.
    Last edited by Darian; 07-10-2021 at 08:33 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown