Thread: TFO Warranty and a new Axiom II x

Thumbs up TFO Warranty and a new Axiom II x

Two years ago (April 2019) to be exact, four of us made another trip to Christmas Is. Jim May, myself, and Bill Siler and his son Kyle. This was Bill and Kyle’s first trip here but I’m sure it won’t be their last.
    Like usual all days start out the same, getting in several different outriggers with your guides and partners for the day. Bonefish and trevally are always the main targets but when other opportunities present themselves you go for it.

There had been several large processing boats anchored close to shore and someone said there’d be milkfish around these boats if we’d like to try for them. Several of the outriggers came together and headed toward the milkfish action.

Fishing right next to the processing boats was tight quarters but before long several of us were hooked up and the proverbial Chinese Fire Drill ensued. I was hooked up quickly and my fish went deep. Amazing how strong and fast these fish are with those long forked tails. I think Bill was next to me hooked up as well. My fish went one way while Bill’s went the other and I had to pass my BVK over Bill’s back and around him. The fish had other plans and suddenly my rod gets a big SNAP across Bill’s back. Still on, we hand line the fish into the boat. This is what fire drill’s are all about, Bill’s sorry about the rod, and I’m without my 12 wt.

The TFO BVK 12 wt. was one of my favorite rods. As soon as we got back from our trip I sent it in to TFO for warranty and quickly got a new rod sent back to me. The problem was they sent me a “Mangrove” instead of the BVK I sent. I quickly called TFO and got ahold of Rick Pope who said that the BVK was discontinued and wanted me to try out the Mangrove. He was sure I’d like it.

I took it to the park and cast it on the lawn a few times but this was not the BVK I wanted. So now it’s 2020 and the COVID comes around and stops everything for a full year. No trips for a full year plus.

Well, vaccinations completed, we’re starting to think about travel again and warm saltwater is calling. I call TFO again and explain the situation and they are very accommodating. I talk with Jim Shulin and he says they’d only charge me the difference between the two rods. Great.
    Yesterday I got a new Axiom II x - 12 wt. In the mail.

This morning I couldn’t wait and headed down to the park with several of my bigger reels to try things out. What a great casting rod. It cast straight as an arrow both long and short and had plenty of push for both. I used both the RIO OBS, and the S/A Saltwater Tarpon taper. Both were excellent.

So now I’ve got to go get this new rod wet on something that pulls hard before I can finish my story. But for now, TFO really came through and lived up to it’s word on it’s warranty. Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I love a story with a happy ending!

I'm pretty happy with my new Axiom II x 9wt. It casts all of my Rio Striper Intermediate seemingly without effort.

Hey Tony the Axiom II X has the recoil guides that are great. I have the 8wt and love it for bonefish. Hopefully some of our vaccine will end up on CI and we can go back again next year.
    Don Memmer

I have the Axiom II X from 7 - 12 wt. My other Axiom II rods are now sitting in the closet along with my other ??? number of rods. But overall, for the small species like trout, crappie, carp, etc. my Fenwick Feralite FF605 is my favorite. I'm taking a Fenwick Feralite 9' 12wt to Baja in September and try to hook up on a yellow fin. I want to see how much flex the rod has and a stun will do it. I remember fishing the Smith River for those chinook salmon with a glass rod. I used a 10wt Fenwick and 9' 10wt Saxton fiberglass rod. you can't beat the action
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Just say the word Don and give the dates. I can go ANY time
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180