Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The number one trout stream in America?

Default The number one trout stream in America?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWxQLkw-BU

Kiene's has had group trips there for decades.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Just returned from the green, we did A B and C sections on a 2 night overnight in a raft.first time fishing it. Great fishing and scenery, always wanted to fish it. Lots of boats and a bit crowded in upper section but got much better further down. Highly recommend it! Am out in colorado for a few weeks visiting family and fishing, will try to post a few pictures on this thread for anyone thats interested.

Number one? Hah! That's easy. It's the stream I'm fishing on any particular day. I typically don't see anyone the entire day. The fish are there, maybe not for me but they are there. There are no guides with clients, no litter, no worries about high or low holing anyone. Just me and the flora and fauna that the Sierra Nevada's offer up to anyone who cares to look. We have a national treasure in our own back yard, you just have to do a little bit of work to find it.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Hey Ed i think perhaps what Bill was referring to when he said best trout stream in US was its trout density, from my understanding its surveys show more fish per mile than even the san juan below navajo or lower sac etc. I totally agree there’s many other ways to judge a stream/fishery!

I was so close it was painful. I just returned from a trip downstream at The Gates of Lodore. It was a whitewater 4-day but I took my flyrod and had a 2 day CO license and 3 day UT license. Was hoping the recent mitigation flows would wash some browns downstream but nothing until I got to Jones Hole in UT. Caught some 12" browns in a beaver pond at the mouth of the creek on hopper/droppers.

The best trout stream in the world for me, my brother Dick, his son Chris, his friend Vince, Galen Geller, Paul Keel, Phil Romig, Neil Hansen, Jerry Lyerly and another bunch of friends was the Pit River in Nor Cal before they raised the flows.

In September we had the Isonychia mayfly emergence and in the spring we had big stone flies.

It was a pocket water high stick nymphing river for the most part.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Well, since it's been ruined now I can honestly say that the Rubicon River was for a long time the absolute best trout stream I'd ever fished. It had it all. A huge Golden Stonefly hatch every year, the trout just went ape shit for big dries during the first few weeks of June. And these were big fish. You never saw another angler in a days fishing. The caddis were so thick you couldn't help stepping on the cases as you waded. When October and November came around the Fall Caddis hatch was the stuff of dreams. Bill Carnazzo new this well and kept the secret along with a small batch of canyon rats. Now the King Fire and didymo algae have turned this once blue ribbon trout fishery on it's head. We fought the PCWA and won much better flows below the Hell Hole dam but the fire and the algae doomed this fishery. At least I knew it in it's greatness. That was such a treat.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Very sad Ed.......

About 50 years ago we had big fall runs of Half-pounders in the lower American river.

We would go down after work to see many fish feeding on a huge caddis activity most evening.

My brother Dick and I knew little of fly fishing so we used a #12 Royal Wulff which worked just OK.

The Cortland Line Rep Joe Patterson gave me some #12 Shellback nymphs that looked a lot like the caddis.

Back then we had a group of about a dozen guys who would show up in the evening above the Watt Bridge.

Perryman, Potter, Hal Janssen, Al Fong, Cal Guin, brother Dick, Geller, Bobby G, Ziem, and others enjoyed the good fishery.

Today in September the river is quiet............?

Back then many did not bother to drive over to the coast because the Winter Steelhead run was so good in the American river.

The Nimbus Hatchery had introduced the Eel river strain of Steelhead that seemed to have caught on.

The upper river below the hatchery was a loaded with anglers in the Fall for King salmon and the Winder for Steelhead.

_____________________________________________-

Our American Shad run was actually World famous back then with fishing celebrities on the American river.

Jimmy Green from Fenwick would show up to fish and test new rods with his friend Walt Bennett.

I think Ted Trueblood frequented the American river for the big spring Shad run.

You could see Stripers chasing the Shad around on the surface at sunset too.

I always feel that if the Water Barens can eliminate the anadromous fisheries, the fishermen will fade away too?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    Number one? Hah! That's easy. It's the stream I'm fishing on any particular day. I typically don't see anyone the entire day. The fish are there, maybe not for me but they are there. There are no guides with clients, no litter, no worries about high or low holing anyone. Just me and the flora and fauna that the Sierra Nevada's offer up to anyone who cares to look. We have a national treasure in our own back yard, you just have to do a little bit of work to find it.
    Ditto everything you said Ed. Just about any water above 7000' in the Sierra is my favorite if I happen to be fishing it.

My college buddy had a uncle who owned a cabin at MurrayCamp (Flat(?-sp). From there we would hike down to a bar (per the trail sign) but camp upriver about 1/4 mile on a big rock and a small beach. From there we would fish up river to the gorge and maybe a few yards above the entrance of Hell Hole. The water was high and lack of smaller rocks kept us from doing anything stupid, like drowning.' Obviously this was way before the HELL HOLE DAM.

I was mainly fishing on the dark side then, spinners and spoons, just a few flies from my grand father. Coachmen, grey wolfs?(sp)
    I had a split bamboo fly rod (9 footer) compliments of my grandfather, but it was a heavy 2 piece (separate extra tip) much to heavy for our quarry and hard to really cast there., It was better to dip dunk, a fly in small waters like gurly (sp) creek.
    This all started when I got back from Korea in about 1959, and continued until 1963 after I graduated from SF state. We would spend about 3 weeks in the area fishing and hiking. We tried Bunker hill lookout and lake for brookies, and had a great time with them.

We also went up to McKinstry lake (sp), about a3 5 minute hike up from Murray camp. That lake had/has huge potential. While waking around the shore we spotted a ? cutthroat trout (?) about 2-1/2 lbs dead along the shore. Never went back.

Biggest fish caught were rainbows about 10-12 inches, my friend who had access to the cabin, Al Baughman, caught a 20 incher plus up at the pool below hell hole. It was a brown trout!!. Big head, small body. Reminded me of my Grandfathers fish from the wind river mountains. . I saw strings and strings of fish with big heads and small bodies.

One year we went up,we were told the dam under construction borke and flooded out all of the river. Years later we went up and were disappointed

That is my story, and I am sticking to it.

regards,gene