Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: East Carson info

That site says to report sightings if not in Placer county. I can't be the first person to notice these, I saw at least 6 of them and wasn't even looking for them. Is there really value to reporting these? I can't see an obvious way to do so on the various pages I clicked through.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E. View Post
    More likely a Pacific Gopher Snake. Super common snake that is found throughout the Sierras.

http://www.californiaherps.com/snake...catenifer.html

Water snakes (Nerodia) wouldn't survive winters in the mountains.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Issac Asimov

Looks like a Garter Snake

I know this is an old post but I may be visiting a friend in Gardnerville, NV and was hoping to take a fly rod. (I'm pretty new to fly fishing)
    It appears that this Hangman Bridge is not too far from Gardnerville? Where is the airport that people mention? What would be the lowest flows to fish this river?

Gardnerville is about 20-25 minutes away from the Hangman's Bridge. Plenty of places to park there and easy to walk downstream. The Airport is the Alpine County airport, which is little more than a small runway and a windsock. There is a trail that goes down to the river near there, but it is not easy to find or get there unless you have a 4WD.

If you are going to fish the EC I would suggest you hit it early in the day and take a thermometer along with you. When the water reaches 65-68, STOP fishing. The EC warms up a lot in the summer and with these low flows due to the lack of snow, it is going to happen even earlier in the day. Water that is too warm can be fatal to the trout, even if C&R properly. Something to consider.

--F.G. Dave
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Heavy rains this past week resulted in mud slides in the burn areas and the river was still darkly stained on 7/9. Wouldn't waste my time until it clears up!

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Guy Dave View Post
    Gardnerville is about 20-25 minutes away from the Hangman's Bridge. Plenty of places to park there and easy to walk downstream. The Airport is the Alpine County airport, which is little more than a small runway and a windsock. There is a trail that goes down to the river near there, but it is not easy to find or get there unless you have a 4WD.

If you are going to fish the EC I would suggest you hit it early in the day and take a thermometer along with you. When the water reaches 65-68, STOP fishing. The EC warms up a lot in the summer and with these low flows due to the lack of snow, it is going to happen even earlier in the day. Water that is too warm can be fatal to the trout, even if C&R properly. Something to consider.

--F.G. Dave
    Would it be better to fish farther north near Gardnerville? Cooler water?

Quote Originally Posted by geedavell View Post
    Would it be better to fish farther north near Gardnerville? Cooler water?
    The EC starts in CA and eventually flows into NV. It flows more or less north east and when it gets close to Gardnerville it flows north. The water there would be even warmer than the stretch near the Hangman's Bridge, as it is even further downstream. Also, a previous post said that the river is currently off color, which is does quite a bit in the summer, due to thunderstorms. When it does that, I would look elsewhere, as the fishing is really tough when the water looks like chocolate milk. Perhaps check out the West Fork of the Carson in Hope Valley. It is a bit closer, heavily stocked with trout, less prone to going off color, but it has a lot more fishing pressure than the EC.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Guy Dave View Post
    The EC starts in CA and eventually flows into NV. It flows more or less north east and when it gets close to Gardnerville it flows north. The water there would be even warmer than the stretch near the Hangman's Bridge, as it is even further downstream. Also, a previous post said that the river is currently off color, which is does quite a bit in the summer, due to thunderstorms. When it does that, I would look elsewhere, as the fishing is really tough when the water looks like chocolate milk. Perhaps check out the West Fork of the Carson in Hope Valley. It is a bit closer, heavily stocked with trout, less prone to going off color, but it has a lot more fishing pressure than the EC.
    Thanks for the input. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!