Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: East Carson info

Default East Carson info

Does anyone have advice on fishing the East Carson from the airport to Hangman's bridge? I took a short hike here a couple months ago and it looked interesting enough to come back and fish but I've never fished it. It looks like the flows are really low right now, 95 cfs which is about what it normally sees in Sept/Oct, is that a concern? I'd appreciate any tips you guys might have.

Thanks,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
    Does anyone have advice on fishing the East Carson from the airport to Hangman's bridge? I took a short hike here a couple months ago and it looked interesting enough to come back and fish but I've never fished it. It looks like the flows are really low right now, 95 cfs which is about what it normally sees in Sept/Oct, is that a concern? I'd appreciate any tips you guys might have.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Take a thermometer. With the low flows and hot temps this year a lot of these waters are going to be at stressful temps for the fish.

Been 3 years since I moved away so take this for what it’s worth.
    At that flow rate it should be easy access to wade and walk. Water temps will go up pretty quickly if they haven’t already so keep an eye on that.
    I always carried two rods, one floater for nymphs and dries or hopper dropper setup. One streamer setup. There are some deep holes!
    Hopper action provided my best (favorite) days. Midges, caddis and mayfly nymphs can all work depending on what’s available for the time you go.
    I will say, the fishing seemed to be steadily going downhill over the 8 or so years I was fishing it. Hopefully you don’t encounter that. Usually didn’t see anyone or maybe one or two others where you want to go.

Two things to note;
    There are lots of rattlesnakes down there so watch where you step.
    It can get pretty hot if the weather is warm so think about hydration.

Rich

I would not bother going down to the airport and fishing towards Hangmans--I would go to the airport and fish downstream. If you wanted to start up river from the Airport I would walk upstream from the airport to Marklee creek and then fish my way downstream. As Rich mentioned, the E Carson especially bellow hangman's is about as snakey as the McCloud. Only two places that I generally have about a 50% chance of running into a rattler during the spring/summer. Most people step over them and don't even notice them---you will be fine--just emphasizing the point to be on guard (but I hate snakes so I am a little biased). 95 CFS is not too low to fish it.

Tahoe Fly Fishing Outfitters at South Lake Tahoe will have the best answers for you.

They have a famous guide service out of that shop.

The owner and personal friend, Victor Babbitt, is a real fine guy.

https://tahoeflyfishing.com/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks for the feedback guys, this is great. I'm curious about Jake Os comment about fishing downstream, I was taught as a kid to fish upstream. What is the thinking here?

Also do you think the fishing is better below the airport or above?

Thanks,Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys, this is great. I'm curious about Jake Os comment about fishing downstream, I was taught as a kid to fish upstream. What is the thinking here?

Also do you think the fishing is better below the airport or above?

Thanks,Eric
    I think the fishing up-stream is a bit of a misnomer. You can walk 100 yards up stream, and fish up stream from there. You can also walk a 100 yards down stream, and fish upstream. I would fish down stream from the airport as in walk as far as you can (or would like to depending on how fast you fish) down stream and fish back towards the airport (up stream). I just don't really personally care for the water upstream of the airport except around the creek can be good. Sure, there are other good spots upstream too--i just prefer the water downstream.

Im sorry to derail, but anyone fish indian creek resevoir in the past few years? Lost the biggest brown ive ever hooked about 7-8 years ago, havent fished it since. The game warden i talked to on the e carson said there werent any in there and must have been a cutthroat or rainbow but came very close to landing it several times and was a brown for sure. Maybe Ralph or somebody else on here who fished the area back in the day can confirm that they at least used to be in there?
    Last edited by Jcolin; 06-24-2021 at 06:50 AM.

I use to fish Indian Creek res .I’ve landed a brown in there. From what I’ve herd they don’t plant it like they use to. Due to $$ I believe.

We arrived about noon on Friday and missed the trail going down but found it half way down. It is really beautiful down there and we did OK fishing. We fished Friday evening, Saturday morning and Saturday evening and we probably landed 8 fish each with a bunch more that we lost. Most were in the 6-8" range with a couple larger. I forgot my thermometer but on Saturday at 8:30pm as we're wading back to camp I realized just how warm the water felt and that we probably should have stopped fishing a while ago. Next time I'll have a thermometer.

We did see a bear on the other side of the river which was really cool and a highlight of the trip. We also saw a bunch of dark snakes in the water, several eating fish. They had a diamond pattern on them and almost looked like a darker rattler but with a pointy tail. I don't ever recall seeing these before. Does anyone know what it is? I'm trying to attach a pic of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6261316.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	17148