Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on trail transport of skiff

Default Question on trail transport of skiff

Hi,
    I trailer my little 14 aluminum skiff with a 18 hp outboard all around our local lakes. I leave the motor on the boat in the down position. Question though: If I am driving and trailering it for hours, on interstates at high speed and whatever else, do i leave the motor on the boat or put it in the bed of the truck? Seems like i see the motor on in the down position most of the time when I see other boats being trailered. Do people worry about the motor hopping of the transom or is that not a thing?

John;

One of the biggest issues with trailering a motor attached to an aluminum boat is the flexing of the transom where it is attached to the bottom of the boat. The constant flexing of a motor against the transom may eventually result in weakening and cracks appearing along the bottom edge. This was a common repair issue for Gregor Boats and they recommended making sure the transom was supported by the trailer bunks when the boat was on the trailer or the motor supported against the trailer to help relieved the stress. Or you could just take the motor off when trailering.

Dennis

John,

As Dennis mentioned, stress on the transom is the biggest concern when trailering long distances. I like to get the motor tilted up a bit to ensure that I rarely smack the skeg. Then, you can either buy a support w/ bar that attaches to the cross member of the trailer, or just cinch the motor to the cross member with a rope and some good knots for the job, to keep it from bouncing/stressing the transom as much.

An 18 hp is not light, but carrying it in the truck has some advantages (less prone to theft?, less stress on the transom). However, the disadvantages seem to make it not the best solution (have to take the motor on and off, could drop it, smelly, need to build a little stand to transport it properly, etc.).

The cinch it to the cross member, buy a motor theft deterrent, alternative has been my choice on my smaller, less-trailered outboards. The bigger, more-trailered motors get the support arm to cross member treatment.

1.5 cents worth
    Dan

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    Hi,
    I trailer my little 14 aluminum skiff with a 18 hp outboard all around our local lakes. I leave the motor on the boat in the down position. Question though: If I am driving and trailering it for hours, on interstates at high speed and whatever else, do i leave the motor on the boat or put it in the bed of the truck? Seems like i see the motor on in the down position most of the time when I see other boats being trailered. Do people worry about the motor hopping of the transom or is that not a thing?
    They have a special brace to hold your motor at about 45 degrees
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

John,

What ended up being the fix to your motor not quite running right? Altitude adjustment? Carb/ fuel issue? I missed the final report.

Thanks,
    Dan

Thanks for you help on it. No fix- the mechanic said i cant run that engine in first click for long. He suggested a trolling plate but santa brought me a trolling motor!

If you decide to look for a stand to support motor when it is off the boat; look into a 4 legged walker that disabled/older people use for support. Buy 2 U shaped brackets to bolt a suitably strong board to the top cross piece. I used a 3/4 inch thick piece of plywood. The whole system is cheap and very stable. There are lots of unused walkers in people's garages/yard sales.

I’m some 14 boats in over 20 years now, And I wonder about the whole transom saver issue. A motor hanging down off the transom is a much shorter lever compared to the length of the boat.

Say it’s a 14 ft boat moving up and down during a run in heavy chop-how much force is applied to the transom compared to a 25 ish inch lower unit on a trailer ?

Thanks for the discussion!
    When i wrote this i wasnt thinking about leverage at all; i was concerned with my motor hopping off the transom and landing in the travel lane of the freeway!
    But i now see the other issue. From my house to Stampede isnt far at all but there is a mile of bumpy dirt road and i can see things bouncing around in the rearview.
    Mr T, i think i am picking up what you are putting down. Last night it was choppy and i put the kids up front to level me out and help me get on a plane. A couple hundred pounds up there is a long lever arm back to the transom, longer than the 80 lbs of the motor.