Thread: Living The Clear Lake Life

Default Living The Clear Lake Life

Living the Lake Life is the slogan for the City of Clearlake and that is what I was doing this week. Unfortunately the lake life I was living this week was not quite as good as the lake life I was living a couple of weeks ago. This week the water was almost a foot lower, the algae was blooming strongly, the four pounders seemed to have disappeared and the top water bite was more like a couple of grabs than a bite. Somehow I did still catch about the same number of fish as a couple of weeks ago so good enough for me. The County launch ramp was open and looking good and with the help of a bike shuttle I was able to beach my boat in front of the State Park campground so I could come and go without having to go to the ramp. That was pretty nice and I will try doing that again. You just want to get a campsite close to the boat so you can keep an eye on it. Anyhow, fun stuff and I took a few pictures this time. Given the way the water is dropping and the algae is blooming I doubt I will go there again this summer. Maybe I will go about April next year after we have a good wet winter and the lake is full and clear and the hills are green.

My boat beached at the campground and ready to go.

Plowing through the algae.

A clouser fish with a fly on his head. There were plenty of flies around and landing on me.

A morning topwater fish.

An evening topwater fish.

Not much of a fish but a good view of Mount Konocti.

You would think I could get a fish off that shoreline but I could not.

Nice.....I think our Clear Lake is very famous.

Your boat is pretty bad ass.........the Darth Vader look?

I guess with more water it would be in better shape this June?

I think it is time to hit the higher elevations and/or the Coast to get cooler?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Despite the conditions, the bite is just beginning to pick up on that lake. With your set-up you still have a couple more months of good fishing up there. If I still had my aluminum Ranger I'd be up there every week doing damage.

The bite is picking up? I was thinking the bite was tapering off. I have have no idea what I am doing. I guess I just show up and fish and hope to do some damage. Seems to work sometimes.

I will be heading to the coast to cool off next week although it is supposed to get up to 80. I am going on a Pacific City dory. The coho is supposed to be good this year. Grant Rilette the dory captain thinks we are going to get coho. That kind of thing never seems to work out so we will see. We are also going to try for spring chinook. No fly rods on this trip. Just a lot of bait fishing.

I do like the boat so far. I feel like I can beat it up and not worry about it.
    Last edited by John H; 06-19-2021 at 11:28 AM.