Thread: Get yourself something to float on and it will change you fly fishing life forever.

Default Get yourself something to float on and it will change you fly fishing life forever.

This could be a canoe, kayak, stand-up paddle board, V-boat, pontoon boat, pram, Jon boat or even a an outboard skiff.

Left us know here what you are thinking about and we can give you some good advise.

I loved wading but today at 76 I am a 'boat kind of guy' now and I just love all watercraft.

I am getting a new skiff in Florida soon but still not sure on the final decision.

Looking at around 16' and very wide if possible. Fiberglass or aluminum?

Where we fish it is quiet and mostly sand, vegetation and some wood so I am looking at the idea of a 7" high tunnel prop.

Here is one choice - the Xtreme Boats up in the FL panhandle - built to your specs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31273135314_9ab92aa9a1_b[1].jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	256.6 KB 
ID:	17111

Here is the fiberglass choice - Ankona Cayenne

https://www.ankonaboats.com/cayenne
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

At 56, I'm still trying to wade, but there are days... ! (says the man who sold his last boat a year ago)...

Glass seems to be the material of choice from what I've seen in FL. Mebbe the UV and salt destroys aluminum?

That Ankona looks sweeeeeet!

The Ankona looks nice. Good price too. I’m in love with Shearwaters and Alburys personally. Shearwater X22 is a bad ass inshore fishing platform.

Without a doubt the fibreglass (that's how we spell it...sorry) Ankona,but they'd be a huge $$ difference between that and your Alloy option I imagine? Either boat will do the job and I presume you'd get by with a smaller outboard on the aluminium boat?

Fiberglass! Aluminums are too noisy for shallow flats. That’s what my neighbor in Texas says and he guides the Laguna Madra all winter. You might want to check out the newer Gheenoe line up. Really economical especially when it comes to ⛽️. How far are you from Titusville?
    Last edited by Idadon; 07-29-2021 at 10:39 AM.

Yes, Gheenoes come in dozens of size and are extremely popular now in the South.

Getting the right size for you would be a challenge unless you live near a big dealer.

http://gheenoe.net/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Idahoan, do I remember right in that you bought a Gheenoe a couple of years ago to take to Texas?

Jim

I did pick one up from a guide that worked winters in Florida. It’s proved to have limited use up here in Idaho and I still haven’t mustered up the nerve to tow it behind the 5th wheel down to southern Texas. It’s my wife’s fault!!

Im highly considering a kayak to float down some valley tailwaters and get into some lightly pressured spots