Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry's Fork Advice

Default Henry's Fork Advice

So I just realized that on a road trip I'm doing, I'll be driving right by the Henry's Fork, and I'll be able to fish it for a few hours around the 17th. I was thinking of fishing it at Harriman State Park. Does anyone have any tips on it? Thanks!

NK

Quote Originally Posted by Natekursow View Post
    So I just realized that on a road trip I'm doing, I'll be driving right by the Henry's fork, and I'll be able to fish it for a few hours around the 17th. I was thinking of fishing it at harriman state park. Does anyone have any tips on it? Thanks!

NK

Supposed to be pushing 90 next week, usually makes the ranch even tougher than normal.

Henry's Fork Anglers is a great place to stop, find out what is hatching and when.

Buy some flies........

https://www.henrysforkanglers.com/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

When you hit the fly shop, ask about the river access above Box Canyon and where their guides are taking clients. Most fish down toward Ashton instead of the water near Island Park. The drake hatch is incredible on the river near Harriman's. We noticed seagulls hitting the water like swallows picking off helpless insects in the drift. Then we saw how big the pre-emergent drakes were. Depending on your time frame to fish, Henry's Lake would be great if the wind is down. The county park has a launch. Fish Staley Springs stripping leech patterns buggers or wooly worm over weed beds with a sink tip.

Quote Originally Posted by gitt View Post
    When you hit the fly shop, ask about the river access above Box Canyon and where their guides are taking clients. Most fish down toward Ashton instead of the water near Island Park. The drake hatch is incredible on the river near Harriman's. We noticed seagulls hitting the water like swallows picking off helpless insects in the drift. Then we saw how big the pre-emergent drakes were. Depending on your time frame to fish, Henry's Lake would be great if the wind is down. The county park has a launch. Fish Staley Springs stripping leech patterns buggers or wooly worm over weed beds with a sink tip.
    Henry's lake has been dead, fish moved to deep water in a hurry with how warm its been this spring. Box Canyon will be your best bet for cold water.

I gots to agree with Aaron’s evaluation of Henry’s Lake. The fishery there took a nose-dive years ago IMO due to the opening up of the lake to ice fishing. Box Canyon will be your best bet probably but it can be a tough wade. If you just have to fish the ranch keep in mind it’s not what it used to be and you will have company! All this week is predicted to be bright, sunny and HOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Idadon View Post
    I gots to agree with Aaron’s evaluation of Henry’s Lake. The fishery there took a nose-dive years ago IMO due to the opening up of the lake to ice fishing. Box Canyon will be your best bet probably but it can be a tough wade. If you just have to fish the ranch keep in mind it’s not what it used to be and you will have company! All this week is predicted to be bright, sunny and HOT!
    Henry's fished spectacularly last Summer, but it also snowed into mid June in IP and the water took its time warming up. Water was warm on opening day this year and fish were already deep. Ice fishing has little effect on it with the amount of fish they pump into the lake.

The drake hatch is just getting started. Harriman will be very busy on June 17th...while the opener is tomorrow, the 17th is the working mans opener. Take advantage of that, and go to the Box or down Hatchery Ford/Mesa Falls trail where you will find less company than normal. In the Box you would probably do best nymphing but you might still be able to get a few to chase a big foamy fly around. Last weekend we were fishing size 2-4 foam flies and we probably rose 40 fish on the drift from Mesa to Warm River including a few bigger ones.

Depending on where you are going as your final destination, you could also consider going to the Madison below Quake Lake. We fished it yesterday and it was really good with lots of fish willing to chase the meat. By next weekend you might see some salmonflies on the lower half of the river above Ennis Lake.

Indeed it has been warm, was 87 in Victor yesterday, pushing 90 today and tomorrow then "moderating" to the low 80's.
    Last edited by PV_Premier; 06-14-2021 at 07:25 AM.

Thanks for all the info... we're going to be camping about 1.5-2.0 miles downstream of swan lake (below harriman) is there any good fishing down in that area? From what I've heard, the Henry's Fork is good fishing throughout its length but just making sure. Thanks!

NK

Quote Originally Posted by Natekursow View Post
    Thanks for all the info... we're going to be camping about 1.5-2.0 miles downstream of swan lake (below harriman) is there any good fishing down in that area? From what I've heard, the Henry's Fork is good fishing throughout its length but just making sure. Thanks!

NK
    Yes, Riverside campground area has fine fishing. It’s a 10 minute drive from there to Box canyon also. The further upstream you go the colder the water will be. I’m sitting on my deck right now (8am) and it is warm already this morning, over 70.