Thread: Tahoe National Forest Help

Default Tahoe National Forest Help

Hello, newcomer here, been stalking the forums for a while but this is my first post. I am going to be in Tahoe National Forest for a couple days (30 June - 2 July), my first time visiting, and plan to hit a couple creeks. I am active duty military and currently live in Hawaii (big bonefish and golden trevally heaven) but I am looking forward to some time in some freshwater. I have google earth scouted a few places to check out, if anyone has any advice on these areas, or others near there, it would be greatly appreciated.

- Upper Little Truckee/Webber Lake area: camping here one night and exploring nearby creeks. How is the Little Truckee in this area? Looks like mostly meadows and slow water.
    - Canyon Creek between Lake Faucherie and French Creek: is there enough water here for some small hungry fish? Access seems a little difficult here, could a make it all the way to Faucherie in a small, 2WD, SUV?
    - Middle Fork Yuba: I am looking to access via Bayes Cabin Rd on the south side. Will I be able to drive all the way to the water in a small SUV? Imagery shows the road leading all the way to the water but I cannot tell how rough the road is. Planning to hike upstream from there.
    - Fordyce Creek area: was planning to drive up Fordyce Lake Rd and hike down one of the drainages to the left down to the upper Fordyce Creek. Anyone have experience with this water?

Thanks in advance for any advice. If anyone wants advice for bonefish in Hawaii, I have a good bit of knowledge to share.

-JD

I was just up in the area. Here is what I can tell you for all of the waters that you are looking at . . . . very, very low water levels. Snow runoff is done already. Upper LT is at about August dewatered levels already, I would beat streams like Independence, etc. are going to be puddles. MF Yuba below Milton, you are getting into very low water levels and into Cartel Country there . . . don't think the fishing is worth any possible hassles. Fordyce . . . not sure, but based upon reservoir levels that feed Fordyce, I would expect very little in the way of releases to sustain much more than a minimum flow. This is going to be a very tough year for the creeks.

Sorry to be the bearer of grim news. I think this is going to be a year to stick to the Little Truckee and big Truckee for anything much in the way of viable fishing. The Truckee is already warming up, and the suggestion from virtually everyone is to get off of the water at mid-day and save the fish.

I’d focus on the smaller lakes. Hit Milton Reservoir and Webber lake. Milton is full of browns. I’d also try independence lake for the Lahontan cutthroats. If you hit the right day you can get a boat rental for free at independence.

Hi, i work at webber lake. The fishing for cutthroats has been good. It is getting hot though which will drive the fish down. They are still in there though. I also work at independence. Fishing has been off and on. Here is the boat availability schedule: https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...t+Calendar.pdf . The lt in perazzo will likely be too warm.

Thanks all for the information. Looks like I may have to put in some time on some of the lakes, though I have little experience fly fishing for trout in lakes. Would you recommend focusing on inlets of creeks? Wooly buggers or nymphs under an indicator?

I like slow stripping SLOW stripping sheep creeks, buggers or wiggletails. The webber inlet can be good. At i lake you can’t fish near tribs iirc.
    Ask Ken the caretaker where it is happening in Webber. If you are in a boat i like the far side, from shore probably the inlet.

North fork of the Yuba and its tribs can be fun (above Downieville this time of year and with the low water). Just watch the water temps, give them a rest above 65. And rattlers are a real thing out there so watch ya step.

Lower sardine is heavily stocked, the fish are cooperative and the views are A+. Boat rentals available at the lodge.