Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Five Pounder Wanted

Default Five Pounder Wanted

I got the bug tied. Now I just need to find a five pounder who wants a frog for breakfast. An eight pounder would be really nice but I think it is better to be grateful than greedy.

Default Froggy....

Good looking fly. That'll get 'em....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

You throw that out at clear lake and your chances will be good.

Great tie!

For comparison, this fly probably looked about like the other one a month ago. It has been cast maybe a thousand times, stuck in a bunch of bushes and trees, dragged though a lot of algae and weeds, retied a few times, looked over by an unknown number of bass that did not grab, grabbed by I don’t know how many bass and successfully landed most of them and now photographed and posted on the internet. That is a full life for a fly. It is now in the "salvage the hook" box although like an old angler it thinks it can still catch fish.

Last edited by John H; 06-09-2021 at 08:06 PM.

Default Weed Guards

How do you feel about using mono/wire weed guards on your bugs?? Do they detract from the appearance of the bug?? I've used the flies tied both ways and definitely had better results without the guard but had to remove algae/weeds and retrieve 'em from various obstructions....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I have never put a weed guard on a fly but I should. I fish spots that either don’t have a lot of weeds or I fish along the edges. I feel like I may be missing out on some opportunities but my strategy is to cast to the edges and lure them out. If I fished gear I would fish weedless lures and throw them into the junk and drag the fish out on 65 pound braid but I don’t fish gear. Fly fishing for bass is pretty limiting so I to try to fish the times and places where the flies will work. Kevin Doran used to hit the holes in the weeds in the Delta. That is probably the thing to be doing. I went with him once for bass. He put us on some weed beds with holes and I think he saw we could not hit the holes so he took us to fish some riprap and brush instead. I expect he fished weedless.

I think Captain Kevin Doran uses Mason Clear Hard nylon mono in 30# for his weed guards?

I believe Umpqua ties there Swimming Frog and other top water hair bugs with 25#?

https://www.masontackle.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=174

KD teaching his top water method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Y0wmSr0Tg

There is a handful of spun deer hair bass bugs that we use in the Delta for top water fly fishing for LMB.

The largest size, #2 Umpqua Swimming Frog with the white belly is a favorite.

https://www.umpqua.com/umpqua-swimming-frog/

KD made a huge impact on many fly fishers by showing them his in depth methods for LMB in the Delta.

Andy Guibord is still spreading KDs system to new anglers every year.

Andy "tweeks" the Umpqua factory tied hair bugs by centering the weed guard and other tricks.

The LMB in the Delta are good in most warm months like April through October but May is KD's top pick.

One of KD's top proteges told me that he had excellent top water action in August in the Delta.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Say hey John...

Since Bill mentioned KD's use of weedguards, I thought you might enjoy this vid I made with KD (many moons ago).
    http://medialibrary.pacificextremes....ater.php?vid=6

Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

I am going weedless! It does not look too tough. No try, just do! Thanks for the encouragement.
    Last edited by John H; 06-10-2021 at 04:08 PM.

Default Weedless....

John,.... Something to think about. You mentioned that you like to fish the edges of mats, reeds, etc. A pattern for a bug to fish in holes or directly on mats developed by KD is called the KD Mat Rat. The bug is designed with a hook up configuration and seems to always land with the bend/point of the hook upwards (no need for weed guards). If you're not familiar with it, you can get a look at the bug at Fly Fishing Specialties or maybe on line (Google or YouTube??). Easy to tie pattern. It becomes useful later in the summer when mats form in the Delta.

Author unknown