Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zihuatanejo

Great video Jay.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Great video Jay.

Carl
    Thanks Carl. This was my first trip to Mexico in almost five years. What a great reminder to get down there way more often. Life’s too short

Jay, a couple of questions. Do you also go by Jay Spencer over on Dan's board? No problem if you do. Great video. Did you fly Air Alaska or Aero Mexico to Zihuatanejo. Any thoughts?

When you booked with Ed Kunze did he seem to have available dates or did you plan your dates first. I went to his website which was a couple of years old and I'm sure his prices have changed since then.

Jim May and I were there a couple of years ago. We had booked with Fishing International for three days of offshore sailfishing on the FLY. But when we got to the boat in the morning the first thing the mate says is "Oh! Fly fishing. You won't catch anything" and we were encouraged to troll bait. This was after we had booked specifically for sailfish on the fly.

I love roosters and jacks and have fished specifically in La Paz and Loreto and would love to try some place new. As part of Ed Kunze's package did they pick you up and get you back to the airport?

Ya, I know. Lots of questions, but curious minds want to know.

Thanks for any information or suggestions you can provide,
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony,

I sent Ed an email and he answered it, I just forwarded you the email.

I think he told me $250.00 for the boat and crew?

I been there twice with the late Bill Nash, the Billfish use to be good then they let all the tourists kill every billfish, I would love to go back and do the rooster thing, especially since it's so cheap...I am almost out the door for my Loreto trip, however soon as I get back I will investigate further.

Carl Blackledge

Thanks Carl. I've been all over his website but there's a lot of old stuff there.

Jay, I forgot to ask about rods, was this all 12 wt. ? I remember going to Loreto and using a 9 wt. the first time, and having a 12 wt. setup for billfish. What a mistake that was. You learn quick when you get into those jacks
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    Jay, a couple of questions. Do you also go by Jay Spencer over on Dan's board? No problem if you do. Great video. Did you fly Air Alaska or Aero Mexico to Zihuatanejo. Any thoughts?

When you booked with Ed Kunze did he seem to have available dates or did you plan your dates first. I went to his website which was a couple of years old and I'm sure his prices have changed since then.

Jim May and I were there a couple of years ago. We had booked with Fishing International for three days of offshore sailfishing on the FLY. But when we got to the boat in the morning the first thing the mate says is "Oh! Fly fishing. You won't catch anything" and we were encouraged to troll bait. This was after we had booked specifically for sailfish on the fly.

I love roosters and jacks and have fished specifically in La Paz and Loreto and would love to try some place new. As part of Ed Kunze's package did they pick you up and get you back to the airport?

Ya, I know. Lots of questions, but curious minds want to know.

Thanks for any information or suggestions you can provide,
    Tony
    Thanks Tony. Yes same Jay

I flew Alaska. But fishing was only a small part of my trip. We spent a week in puerto Vallarta first. Then aero Mexico from pv to Mexico City then to zihuatanejo.

But I do believe Alaska has straight flights to Z from LA.

I’m not sure about Ed picking you up at the airport. You can talk to him about that. Lotsa cheap cab services. Airport is about 20 minutes from zihuatanejo. Ed did pick me up at my resort each morning but I had to cab back. I stayed at the worldmark.

$250 US for a day in the water. I brought all my own gear, food and water. Again Ed can answer all of this too.

The panga run to the rooster beach is a long one. So be prepared. Unless they’re somewhere else when you’re there.

A couple tips. The swells can be very large there and you’re standing in a bow with no railing. You are holding just outside the breakers so you are riding elevators all day going up and down those big swells. It’s a bit unnerving and it’s a workout in your legs and core just keeping yourself stable. Throw in casting a flyrod to nonstop action and it works you hard.

It is HOT!! Like very very uncomfortable hot. Be aware of that. That’s what I struggled with the most.

Also these pangas are not like Baja pangas. They have a covered cabin in the middle and I honestly can’t see how two anglers can fish simultaneously.

There’s sailfish there now and they’re getting them on flies. I originally planned to do that one say but the rooster action was just too good.

Google Ed Kunze zihuatanejo. You’ll find him. He wasn’t heavily booked at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    Thanks Carl. I've been all over his website but there's a lot of old stuff there.

Jay, I forgot to ask about rods, was this all 12 wt. ? I remember going to Loreto and using a 9 wt. the first time, and having a 12 wt. setup for billfish. What a mistake that was. You learn quick when you get into those jacks
    Tony
    Hahahaha!! Yep. In the slide show toward the end of my video, the first jack you see was on my 8 wt. dumb!! I broke that rod down and stowed it after that fish. Stuck with my 10wt for the rest

Nice video, great action, thanks. How sore is your hand from palming the reel like that?
    Don Memmer

Quote Originally Posted by mems View Post
    Nice video, great action, thanks. How sore is your hand from palming the reel like that?
    Thanks buddy!

Hahahaha! Not sore at all. It’s just a habit I don’t even realize I’m doing it.

But I couldn’t lift my arms above my head for three days from all the casting and tug o wars