Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clear Lake Bass Fishing Report

Lucky Lloyd is a great fishing name. If your name is Lucky you probably get some fish. I found a 1978 Field and Stream article that talked about fishing with Lucky in the late 50’s. He took six rods rigged with poppers because he did not like to retie when he was fishing. Apparently he was from the Midwest and was born back in the 1890’s and broke his wrist falling from a grain elevator. The wrist did not heal properly but he could still fish and tie just fine. Tying must have been much different in his day. It was pretty much fur and feathers and you did not have the materials we have to work with today or YouTube for tying lessons. I think bass fishing at Clear Lake was different prior to the introduction of the Florida strain. A lot of fish but not the size there is now. Interesting stuff.

If you are thinking of selling a Lucky Lloyd popper I would love to have one.

Great report thnx for sharing this info last time i get some good things from fishing shop Dubai
    Last edited by lekarskeve; 07-06-2021 at 08:14 AM.

Great post here. You are a bass master John! Clear Lake is a tough fishery but when it's going good, there is nowhere else I'd rather be.

Fun stuff to read about Lucky Lloyd too. I had just learned about his fly angling on Clear Lake a few years ago.

Does anyone know if Loyd's popper is called the El Salto Special? If so I think I have a few around here somewhere. Will have to post a pic.
    Ryan Williams

Nor Cal Fly Fishing Guide

https://flyfishcnv.com/

Awesome post, I am taking my boat and fishing buddy to Clear Lake early June, very excited to check the lake out and hopefully get some bass on the glass rod.

Howdy Ryan,
    I believe the El Salto Special was made by Leo Gutierres (sp?). It's a balsa body correct? I think Leo made those on a request by Keith Kaneko. It was when we were helping to build the fly program down there. Keith did a tremendous job managing/promoting the flyfishing program.

Hey I hear you're having a great season so far chasing bass. Well done!
    Cheers, Ken

PS: Here's a video I made of us fishing El Salto. Enjoy!
    http://medialibrary.pacificextremes....ater.php?vid=1
    Last edited by k.hanley; 05-18-2023 at 01:49 PM.
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!