Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Truckee at Hirschdale question?????

Quote Originally Posted by mogaru View Post
    Restricting river access provides a lot more access for the paying to fish guys if you know what I mean.........
    If someone legitimately wants to restrict access to their private property it's kind of hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by yubaman View Post
    We were fishing the Truckee last weekend, and BTW, it was fishing pretty damn well in the higher water. Anyways, went down to Hirshdale with the idea of fishing it below the town where there was an access point down to the train tracks. The entire area down there is now posted with No Trespassing signs, and the access points have been blocked with boulders and bermed up dirt. This is not just at the bridge in Hirshdale but also the 2 lower access roads.
    Anyone know the story here. I would bet you could still access these areas by hoofing down the railroad tracks or down the Reno bike path.
    Bob
    Yubaman Bob sounds like you are to have to invest in an E Mountain Bike or a gas Moto to fish below the Hirsch. I can provide lessons for a small fee... Every year there are more signs. Some people just ignore them others have bought rafts. Anyways how can you fish the Truckee when you are the Yubaman? Remember you are not a local in Truckee even though you own a house there.... Cheers and have a Happy Holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    If someone legitimately wants to restrict access to their private property it's kind of hard to argue with that.
    Absolutely, however, we don't know if all these accesses which were open before have changed ownership, or if all the owners (what a coincidence) suddenly, all at once decided to block any public access. Too bad I always enjoy accessing the canyon pools. the Truckee has become very crowded within the last couple of years and it could be one of the reason for these restrictions.
    Last edited by mogaru; 05-28-2021 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mogaru View Post
    Truckee has become very crowded within the last couple of years and it could be one of the reason for these restrictions.
    Thank the internet and discussions like this for all our crowded rivers nowadays! Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Thank the internet and discussions like this for all our crowded rivers nowadays! Just saying...
    The rivers are crowded mainly because there are enough anglers who want to fish them. Restricting accessibility makes them even more crowded. The Hirshdale accesses that have been closed, have always been open without any issues and I think finding out what lead to their closures is very important for all anglers.
    Last edited by mogaru; 06-03-2021 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Every fly shop I've talked to said their initial concern with the pandemic was staying in business...which quickly shifted to how to keep enough gear in stock to sell to all the new anglers. Another challenge is a course in stream etiquette doesn't come with the new outfits. The crowds bring more people who jump in the stream 50 feet from you than ever before.

Chris . . . I beg to differ. I have dropped enough dough in several of the local watering holes up to be classified as a resident by the beertender himself! I do love fishing the Truckee, but I have found several other streams in the area that are excellent fisheries that I go to escape the Truckee crowd during high season. It pays to have 4 x 4.

Likewise I do honor all No Trespassing signs. They are up for a reason. I am not going to be "that guy". I am still curious what the 411 is behind all of the new No Trespassing areas . . .

Bob

[
    Likewise I do honor all No Trespassing signs. They are up for a reason. I am not going to be "that guy". I am still curious what the 411 is behind all of the new No Trespassing areas . . .

Bob[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree with you. The bridge at hirsh even had a parking space. What could have made the owner go from facilitating parking to closing the access? The same thing with access to the canyon. Who benefits from all of these closings?.......I am with you yubaman. I also want to know who or what is behind all of this "no trespassing". The California law is all about providing access to the outdoors fishing, boating etc and these closing certainly take away something the property. owners were providing until very recently. Who or what changed their minds?..............

Anybody know if the gate at floriston is also off limits now? I know there were always no trespassing signs but is a very popular access and where i see a lot of rafts take out

It’s probably due to the amount of new anglers and the horrible stream etiquette. Just look at the lower yuba. The access to the lower yuba is actually all private property owned by the quarry operation there. There actual talks about closing that down because of all the break-ins, the off-road vehicles tearing it up, and the traffic for fishing. This was told to me by another property owner on the LY river. Don’t know how true or serious it is. You all for get that if you’re on private property and something happens to you the property owner could be liable for your mistake. Honestly, who ever owns the property really doesn’t have to tell anyone why they closed access. In fact I watched a DFW officer warn people about trespassing there at the Hirsch bridge this past winter and was looking for people fishing that stretch who could’ve trespassed. Only takes a few to mess it up for everyone else.
    Last edited by Rossflyguy; 05-29-2021 at 05:49 PM.