Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Truckee at Hirschdale question?????

Default Truckee at Hirschdale question?????

We were fishing the Truckee last weekend, and BTW, it was fishing pretty damn well in the higher water. Anyways, went down to Hirshdale with the idea of fishing it below the town where there was an access point down to the train tracks. The entire area down there is now posted with No Trespassing signs, and the access points have been blocked with boulders and bermed up dirt. This is not just at the bridge in Hirshdale but also the 2 lower access roads.
    Anyone know the story here. I would bet you could still access these areas by hoofing down the railroad tracks or down the Reno bike path.

Bob

I believe the railroad owns that property right? Maybe they finally had enough.

I doubt that they own that much land, an easement for sure, but not that much acreage around it.

Quote Originally Posted by yubaman View Post
    I doubt that they own that much land, an easement for sure, but not that much acreage around it.
    @bigfly would know

I fished the Truckee a couple of weeks ago and I saw the same signs. I guess someone is interested in keep the river for themselves.........They should be a little bit more friendly to the ones who come and spend the money. I use to go down into the canyon across from the railroad tracks. The last time I saw a guide with some customers who parked before the "no trespassing". Someone might be interested in keeping those pools for themselves.........Certainly I never saw a garbage issue like in other place that warrant closing the access.

John Sv will know! Hopefully he chimes in or PM him.

The property recently changed hands. Not sure of the width of the railroad right of way but IIRC private ownership extends on both sides of the tracks. I don’t know if there are any public easements in the area except for the Tahoe Pyramid Trail which is far from the river. Sorry i cant be of more help.

The BaseMap app and website is very handy to identify public/private property. It has owner information form public assessor data. screenshot below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.png 
Views:	376 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	17076

I was there two weeks ago and found the same thing. Same is true for the road on South side of river from Hirschdale downriver, which I fished in the past with a guide. Everything is now posted Private Property, and in the past I've found a locked gate blocking the road.

I called Matt Koles from Gilligan Guide Service and left him a message asking what's up, but he never responded. Hope someone sees this who has an answer and responds....

Restricting river access provides a lot more access for the paying to fish guys if you know what I mean.........