Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Aana atoll

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Hi Bill,it's Aana atoll,and while the touring companies talk it up,the fishing can be picky if you get my drift.
    A Vietnam Veteran mate of mine went a while back ex Australia and via Papeete in Tahiti.To be brief,the Bonefishing was ordinary with very few fish seen,let alone landed,and the reef fishing very tough on lines and fishermen.Additionally,being a remote destination means it's expensive to get there from just about anywhere.

Okay guys, lets get the spelling correct. It's Anaa.

I've been in communication with Jim Laverty at Fly Odyssey Australia and I've been looking for an alternate location to Christmas Is. As beautiful as the place is Dynaflow's description seems similar to Laverty's. Jim has stated that the bonefishing isn't as good as Christmas Is. but the fish are larger. Sounds like the natives here , like elsewhere, eat a few too.

Jim also said that you need to be in fairly good shape as hiking around the on the reef can be a bit tiring. Hiking around Christmas Is. can be a bit tiring too.

In short I've been trying to put all the numbers together comparing a trip like this to going to Christmas Is. Costs first off is going to mean flying to Hawaii. Add to that a hotel for at least over night. Add to that dinner and breakfast before getting on Air Fiji. Air Fiji now is about a $1000.00. Then once you get to CXI you've got to get your fishing licence, then your lodge (roughly $3000), plus daily tips to your guides, plus tips at end of the week to your lodge people, and any extra bar bill you have. Upon returning to HNL are you going to get right on another plane and fly home? Or take a taxi and stay over for another day or two. This all adds up.

So for us old retired guys, we've got to watch or pennies. I haven't put all the dollar figures together yet for going to Anaa but it doesn't seem to be that much different from Christmas Is. And if booking with Fly Odyssey AU their price is around $4500 AU which is converted to about $3465.00 USD. (convertion rate is $.77USD to $1.00AU).

I'll have more information about this trip soon,
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Why spend all that money on either place, just to catch a saltwater sucker? at least in Loreto you have 4 different kinds of fish and you can fish for around $200 per day...just saying

Carl

Default Cost of Fishing/Travel

The number of species encountered in French Polynesia (flats, in-shore, offshore & reef) is probably similar to the number in The Sea of Cortez and many off shore species are the same. Plus Bonefish/GT's. So, why not enjoy both if you can??....
    Last edited by Darian; 06-09-2021 at 12:14 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian,

Each to their own, however it's about three times more expensive to fish Polynesia island and surrounding areas...been there done that and still don't understand the lure for those places...where Mexico is so cheap and the fishing isn't screwed up ....my 2 cents