Thread: The black hole of steelhead report card data

Default The black hole of steelhead report card data

I recently inquired with CADFW about access to steelhead report card data for the past 3 years. I was seeking daily or weekly data for a few coastal rivers in California for the past few years so that I could look at run timing and maybe compare it to historical flow data from the CDEC. Some data is available in CADFW legislative reports on the CADFW website, but these are often out of date and much of the data has already been transformed to illustrate a certain administrative point rather than being provided in a raw format.

Well apparently it is a major pain in the ass to query the data or to provide much resolution. I take this to mean that the database used to store the data is probably an in-house system and cumbersome to query and that the personnel available to maintain and search the database are limited, or perhaps even number as few as one.

Anyway here is what I received. The 2020 data was not available at the time of my query.
    I'm grateful for what I received, but disappointed that the access to this information by the public, like so much information collected by CADFW, is so limited.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coastal steelhead report card data.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	17053  

That kinda stinks that you can't get raw data but, the numbers as presented seem to match up with with my experiences.

I’ve heard from a high up source from CDFW that those steelhead cards pretty much end up in the can. Another money generator for this greedy crooked state.
    Last edited by Mark Kranhold; 05-21-2021 at 03:11 PM.

[QUOTE=Mark Kranhold;203300]I’ve heard from a high up source from CDFW that those steelhead cards pretty much end up in the can. Another money generator for this greedy crooked state.[
    I was under the impression the vast majority of people submit their numbers online at the end of the year? I always mail mine in because my first year i lost my card and they wouldnt accept it online the following year. Does make me laugh how they threaten to not issue steelhead cards if you didnt report the information the prior year, definitely an empty threat.