Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Years ago I dragged the wife and kids into the Dinkey Wilderness in search of golden trout. Had come from back east, where golden trout were some strange hybrid I guess, all stocked and yellow like a stick of butter, so I wanted to compare.

I recall a long hike in just to a campsite, then a long hike the next day to a lake that I don't recall the name of. I was a roostertail guy at the time, and the boys, around 9 and 6, were fishing mealworms. Everyone caught at least one. They are a very pretty fish.

I'm planning a trip to Wyoming and thinking of looking into maybe a Wind River range lake, I guess there are a couple with goldens. Would be nice to revisit the variety to see what the Wyoming brand looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by AzTrout View Post
    Years ago I dragged the wife and kids into the Dinkey Wilderness in search of golden trout. Had come from back east, where golden trout were some strange hybrid I guess, all stocked and yellow like a stick of butter, so I wanted to compare.

I recall a long hike in just to a campsite, then a long hike the next day to a lake that I don't recall the name of. I was a roostertail guy at the time, and the boys, around 9 and 6, were fishing mealworms. Everyone caught at least one. They are a very pretty fish.

I'm planning a trip to Wyoming and thinking of looking into maybe a Wind River range lake, I guess there are a couple with goldens. Would be nice to revisit the variety to see what the Wyoming brand looks like.
    Here the fish from hatcheries that look like the hatchery 'golden trout' that I used to see in Pennsylvania seem to be called lightning trout.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    Here the fish from hatcheries that look like the hatchery 'golden trout' that I used to see in Pennsylvania seem to be called lightning trout.
    Hey John your reply inspired me to google. I guess the West Virginia variety are known as "palomino" trout, and are stated on (https://fishwithjd.com/2015/11/24/6-...rout-varities/ ) to be "similar" to lightning trout, although they look the same. Interesting website, never have heard of 4 of the 6 listed varieties.
    Haven't been thru Truckee for a while, used to fish off the I-80 when I was in Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by AzTrout View Post
    Hey John your reply inspired me to google. I guess the West Virginia variety are known as "palomino" trout, and are stated on (https://fishwithjd.com/2015/11/24/6-...rout-varities/ ) to be "similar" to lightning trout, although they look the same. Interesting website, never have heard of 4 of the 6 listed varieties.
    Haven't been thru Truckee for a while, used to fish off the I-80 when I was in Reno.
    That's it!
    I couldn't remember. Here Lightning trout, there Palominos. I remember fishing Yellow Breeches in PA one time and you could see those things from the parking lot!
    Last edited by John Sv; 05-27-2021 at 04:06 PM.

Az - Trout in the Wind River Range are not easy picking. The off trail passes and ridges are awesome for walking but IMHO the backpack fishing in the Sierras is much better. If you go to the Winds go for the hiking.

JH - you got it going. You speak of my world. What you speak of, is what I do.

It seems like other than the scenery, most anglers are interested in the Wind River range from the pictures of the big goldens that were transplanted there; ive always been intrigued by them too...The sierras are funny in that most goldens are small but if you visit enough lakes that are hard to get to, you’ll find big, sometimes huge ones. Not necessarily easy to fool however. There is one lake Ive fished 3 times, takes 2 -3 days hiking each way, had only one missed strike in 3 trips, but theyre well over 2 feet long. Not sure if i can handle another skunking there this season ��