Thread: Yuba Salmon?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Yuba Salmon?

I've heard mixed reports, and don't want to do anything illegal so I thought I'd check here This upcoming fall, is it legal to do C&R fishing for the salmon on the lower Yuba river? Thanks!

NK

Some years ago there were far more salmon and steelhead in the lower Yuba river.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

If it were me I’d leave the salmon alone on the Yuba and let them do their thing, that is what’s left of natural wild spawning salmon on the Yuba. The Yuba gets strays but why fish it since our salmon are on a spiraling decline across the west coast, let em be! To add to it our water shortage this year will also effect the fishery this season through fall.

Yes, we need more wild salmon and less hatchery salmon.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

This past week there have been loads of terns and gulls diving on schools of smolt at the mouth of the Yuba. I don't know what kind of smolt they're eating but they can't be too large. No, they're not shad. One of those terns couldn't pick a shad up and there were no pelican around either.

So what kind of smolt are they, salmon. steelhead, maybe even squawfish ?
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

It is 100% illegal to target salmon on the Yuba. If you accidently hook one, I'd recommend breaking it off as you are probably using 4 or 5x and landing it will take an easy hr and that fish will never make it to spawn, let alone make it that day. If you by chance land it, taking it out of the water for a pic is considered catch and keep per dfg and is felony poaching. Personally I'd recommend leaving them alone. The Yuba use to get 25k and more salmon, now the run is down to 3-5k, we need every one of them to spawn successfully. Target the egg eating trouts and let the salmon do their thing.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Yes, we need more wild salmon and less hatchery salmon.
    For this to work Bill, there might have to be a closure to commercial fishing, and sport fishing. The keeping part anyways. Rivers are far too messed up to sustain natural wild runs of salmon in my knowledge of reading about this subject. Down here in the valley anyways. To back up my statement the eel river that has been off limits to keeping since the removal of the hatchery system has done just enough to get some fish back. But not even a faction of what historical numbers where just as far back as 1930-1940’s. And the rivers up there are far better shape to natural vs us in the valley. Just a though.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Quote Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
    For this to work Bill, there might have to be a closure to commercial fishing, and sport fishing. The keeping part anyways. Rivers are far too messed up to sustain natural wild runs of salmon in my knowledge of reading about this subject. Down here in the valley anyways. To back up my statement the eel river that has been off limits to keeping since the removal of the hatchery system has done just enough to get some fish back. But not even a faction of what historical numbers where just as far back as 1930-1940’s. And the rivers up there are far better shape to natural vs us in the valley. Just a though.
    That’s because California is the only state on the west coast of North America who doesn’t do actual ocean take counts. Instead California would just GUESS the dang numbers of commercial and recreational ocean take. There should be a salmon card for the whole state so we see actual numbers being harvested and not estimates that seem to be wrong every year.