Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yuba Salmon?

its a shame its not a slap on wrist with a machete

The Sacramento and the Feather rivers have good salmon runs in the Fall.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Anybody swing flies for them on the klamath? My buddy got a nice jack when we were on the lower klamath last october

I offer an all inclusive trip in the lower 30miles on the Klamath, while we aren't targeting salmon during these trips, we do get jack salmon while swinging for steelhead. We also get them on the trinity swinging too. It's all about timing, right place, right time and the right fish. I bet if we actually tried targeting them we would be more consistent on hooking them. It's just by catch right now. The lower in the system you are or closer to the ocean, your chances of hooking a salmon on the swing are much more probable. I'd say get out there, fish it in the lower stretches and be ready. Just watch for water temps, I don't recommend fishing anything over 67degs. Fish early fish hard and take the rest of the day off. If temps are feasible fish the last hr or 2 of light, water temps dependant of course. The water temps will be a huge issue this year, and typically after about 1 or 2pm it's to hot to fish.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Yes, we need more wild salmon and less hatchery salmon.
    For this to work Bill, there might have to be a closure to commercial fishing, and sport fishing. The keeping part anyways. Rivers are far too messed up to sustain natural wild runs of salmon in my knowledge of reading about this subject. Down here in the valley anyways. To back up my statement the eel river that has been off limits to keeping since the removal of the hatchery system has done just enough to get some fish back. But not even a faction of what historical numbers where just as far back as 1930-1940’s. And the rivers up there are far better shape to natural vs us in the valley. Just a though.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Quote Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
    For this to work Bill, there might have to be a closure to commercial fishing, and sport fishing. The keeping part anyways. Rivers are far too messed up to sustain natural wild runs of salmon in my knowledge of reading about this subject. Down here in the valley anyways. To back up my statement the eel river that has been off limits to keeping since the removal of the hatchery system has done just enough to get some fish back. But not even a faction of what historical numbers where just as far back as 1930-1940’s. And the rivers up there are far better shape to natural vs us in the valley. Just a though.
    That’s because California is the only state on the west coast of North America who doesn’t do actual ocean take counts. Instead California would just GUESS the dang numbers of commercial and recreational ocean take. There should be a salmon card for the whole state so we see actual numbers being harvested and not estimates that seem to be wrong every year.

We do know California commercial harvest which is both under quotas and requires operators to maintain accurate records. Party boat and guides also have to maintain daily logs and submit them annually. You are correct about not requiring actual punch cards for recreational ocean take. Those figures are estimates based on fish checker, party boat data (actual) and math (statistics) which estimate take. There's actually a lot of smart people that do the guessing (and care about salmon).

There's a lot of good info on the PFMC website and you can find estimates here (page 25): https://www.pcouncil.org/documents/2...-report-i.pdf/

I realize your point is that due to drought, freshwater habitat, water use policies, ocean conditions and climate change, California salmon populations aren't sustainable, at least enough to support harvest. The Klamath will lose much of the Fall 2020 brood year production due to disease exacerbated by water temperatures and drought. It's 108 in Happy Camp today... ugh.

If you’ve read this document then you should be furious. Over 500k salmon harvested the last two years when pre harvest estimates where’s supposed to be in the 300k in that time frame? That’s not including the anglers that get missed by DFG survey as stated in your report. Not to mention all the other estimates for Klamath run and coho run were drastically miscalculated to the actual returns. My statement is solidified by this. Business driven people run our fisheries. Not the outdoorsmen. Thank you for that report. It’s worse than I thought.
    Last edited by Rossflyguy; 06-01-2021 at 03:57 PM.

It's an imperfect science - especially when salmon split their time between freshwater and marine (where ocean conditions are ever changing and various stocks mix). California salmon have many many issues impacting them including (and especially) being entangled in the ugly politics of water.

Anyone can chose to get involved - the PFMC process is all inclusive with all of the stakeholders are at the table; ocean and river recreational anglers, party boat operators, commercial industry, tribes and the environmental community. While far from perfect, the process has successfully recovered several rockfish stocks on the West Coast.

Yea but rockfish are much different than salmon which you obviously know. I’m sure there are far better ways to figure out harvest numbers than guessing each year. It clearly isn’t working if we don’t even know if we’re over harvesting salmon and figuring out how many fish are actually returning. The state government doesn’t want that because it’ll put a spot light on the water management for salmon.

This goes back to the importance of hatcheries. If we can’t even monitor actual hatchery harvest numbers and guessing is the solution to official return numbers we’re gonna be talking about wild salmon as an extinct fish along with hatchery salmon.
    Last edited by Rossflyguy; 06-01-2021 at 05:40 PM.