Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yuba Salmon?

Default Yuba Salmon?

I've heard mixed reports, and don't want to do anything illegal so I thought I'd check here This upcoming fall, is it legal to do C&R fishing for the salmon on the lower Yuba river? Thanks!

NK

Some years ago there were far more salmon and steelhead in the lower Yuba river.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

If it were me I’d leave the salmon alone on the Yuba and let them do their thing, that is what’s left of natural wild spawning salmon on the Yuba. The Yuba gets strays but why fish it since our salmon are on a spiraling decline across the west coast, let em be! To add to it our water shortage this year will also effect the fishery this season through fall.

Yes, we need more wild salmon and less hatchery salmon.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

This past week there have been loads of terns and gulls diving on schools of smolt at the mouth of the Yuba. I don't know what kind of smolt they're eating but they can't be too large. No, they're not shad. One of those terns couldn't pick a shad up and there were no pelican around either.

So what kind of smolt are they, salmon. steelhead, maybe even squawfish ?
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

It is 100% illegal to target salmon on the Yuba. If you accidently hook one, I'd recommend breaking it off as you are probably using 4 or 5x and landing it will take an easy hr and that fish will never make it to spawn, let alone make it that day. If you by chance land it, taking it out of the water for a pic is considered catch and keep per dfg and is felony poaching. Personally I'd recommend leaving them alone. The Yuba use to get 25k and more salmon, now the run is down to 3-5k, we need every one of them to spawn successfully. Target the egg eating trouts and let the salmon do their thing.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Clemens View Post
    It is 100% illegal to target salmon on the Yuba.
    Here, here...this tells you all you need to know.

Back in my early days of Yuba fishing the egg bite, I accidentally flossed a jack salmon in the jaw, probably 5-10# range. I was on 2-3x and it straightened the sh*t out of my hook after a 15' tussle. Thought it would break my rod. Never again. Every once in awhile you will hook one in the back egg fishing, just break them off as you will never land them and you will just harm them in the process. If you hook onto their backs you are not doing it right anyways.

If you are trying to swing a chinook, you could do better numbers wise and legality wise on another river.

Perfect, let em be!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Clemens View Post
    It is 100% illegal to target salmon on the Yuba. If you accidently hook one, I'd recommend breaking it off as you are probably using 4 or 5x and landing it will take an easy hr and that fish will never make it to spawn, let alone make it that day. If you by chance land it, taking it out of the water for a pic is considered catch and keep per dfg and is felony poaching. Personally I'd recommend leaving them alone. The Yuba use to get 25k and more salmon, now the run is down to 3-5k, we need every one of them to spawn successfully. Target the egg eating trouts and let the salmon do their thing.
    Is it really a felony to poach salmon? I thought the penalty for POS’s poaching wild steelhead (and I've seen my fair share of that living on the Russian river) was basically a slap on the wrist. It would warm my heart so much to know that the few that get caught get charged with a felony, of course I always call CALTIP to report them but doubt that has once resulted in a fine. As an aside, I remember reading in the press democrat about a dude who was arrested further up the coast in Manchester for a big pot bust up on the Garcia river, they found a bunch of wild steelhead from the river with the adipose fins sliced off in his freezer. He was a member of the Stornetta family too. I'm sure he was facing serious charges but figured it was more from the weed than the poaching.

Thank you for the information! I didn't realize that the run was down that much I'll take your advice on this and let it be. Thanks again!

NK