Thread: Line Reccomendations for 4 inch streamers?

Post Line Reccomendations for 4 inch streamers?

I just started getting into the Spey and 2 handed game, mostly swinging. I have an 11' 3weight trout spey rod and currently throw a RIO Scandi Body 325 grains with 10 foot versileaders and 3 or 4 feet of tippet. I have no problems casting smaller marabou streamers; size 8 and 6 with a small bead, nor do I have issues throwing smaller intruders tied on 15 and 20mm shanks, but when I cast some of my larger size 4's and sculpins patterns my cast starts to feel very clunky and I feel that I am just barely turning over my flies. For fishing my larger streamers should I consider getting a Skagit head and tips in my rods grain range or is there something I can do different with my current set up. Any help is appreciated

Flies I dont have issue casting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_2021-03-30_09-17-20.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	17007

Name:	photo_2021-04-01_10-41-15.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	17008

Flies I start seeing problems.

Name:	photo_2021-04-01_10-39-02.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	17009

Name:	photo_2021-05-09_14-11-14.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	17010

You have to remember those lighter trout speys can only handle so much when it comes to larger streamers, and depending on what rod you have as well, soft or stiffer and fast? 325 seams heavy for a 3wt, what rod? Maybe you are overloading it and collapsing the rod or overpowering it when you go to big bugs. Those trouters are all about finesse. What size tippet are you using? This could be part of the issue to? I will use 10lb to 8lb green max tapered down, this will help with turnover. Fine tippet and bigger bugs will collapse. I have a 11’9 3 wt that I use a 265 scandi body on with 10’ of T-8 and sculpins up to 3” with some small dumbbell eyes and it casts just fine. My 1172 will also toss the same size bugs. I have found that the running line as well has a huge factor when it comes to sub 300 grain trouters for cast ability, finer diameter and subtle lines like P-line Hydrafloat will shoot a country mile over the run of the mill Rio and airflo dacron coated lines. Mono is another great alternative for running lines. Maybe try a straight chunk of T material over those tapered versileaders . You could go with those new trout Skagits or the OPST commando head, personally I can’t stand those short 13’ -15’ heads. Maybe you need to step up to a 4wt in your closet full of arsenal, it’s always good to have every size spey to go battle some fish of all sizes.
    Last edited by Mark Kranhold; 05-09-2021 at 04:24 PM.

Rod is an Echo TR Trout Spey, the grain recommendation from Echo is 300-330 for Skagit and 325 for Scandi lines which seems heavy for a 3 weight but it was what was also recommended from Kienes. I end up using 2x most of the time. I probably should ahve put a ruler in the picture those larger flies are around 3 to 3.5 inches, I think I that they may just hold on to alot of water. Also are the lighter skagit heads capable of touch and go casts or are you mostly bound to anchored casts?
    Last edited by Lucas Dement; 05-09-2021 at 05:14 PM.

The TR rod's grain window runs a little heavy for the line wt. rating, for sure.

I would try 10' of T8 on the Scandi body that you have. It'll probably help a lot and might save some money. A a certain point, a Skagit line is the best thing for heavy flies and, while you can cast it touch and go, the snap T or Perry Poke is really the ticket. The Skagit system evolved to throw big intruders and it works. Given a choice, I try to keep the size of the streamers manageable for a trout spey and just stick to a Scandi line.

Mark's advice to use P-Line Hydrofloat for the running line is right on. I tried it awhile back after a discussion here and its inexpensive and will help lengthen your casts.

That rod should deliver 3” flies just fine, marabou doesn’t usually hold much water. Now when you’re talk rabbit strips that a different story. My sculpins are made of pine squirrel and marabou and cast just fine. I would first try a straight chunk of T-8 like I mentioned above and Tahoejoe as well. Ditch the standard 2x tippet material and try some green maxima 8lb or step it down 10to 8 like I said. That standard tippet material is thin and soft compared to maxima and the max will help turn over bigger bugs. As for touch and go, yes It can be done with Skagits. I use it all the time from 2wts to 8wts. Stick with the scandi body and T-8, it should work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    That rod should deliver 3” flies just fine, marabou doesn’t usually hold much water. Now when you’re talk rabbit strips that a different story. My sculpins are made of pine squirrel and marabou and cast just fine. I would first try a straight chunk of T-8 like I mentioned above and Tahoejoe as well. Ditch the standard 2x tippet material and try some green maxima 8lb or step it down 10to 8 like I said. That standard tippet material is thin and soft compared to maxima and the max will help turn over bigger bugs. As for touch and go, yes It can be done with Skagits. I use it all the time from 2wts to 8wts. Stick with the scandi body and T-8, it should work just fine.
    Very good advice here! I concur completely with every bit of this
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

You were right the rabbit strips are what are causing me issue. I was throwing my flies better today I guess I just need more practice

That’s good to hear, glad you figured it out. Try some pine squirrel strips instead of the squirrel, it’s thinner strips, shorter hair and and thinner hide. It won’t hold as much water and cast like a wet sock. You can also trim your squirrel strips in half for thinner strips.

Name:	B9E26BB5-A2A2-4A21-8C7D-69EB92F5B40F.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	416.9 KB 
ID:	17011
    Last edited by Mark Kranhold; 05-10-2021 at 09:33 PM.

That’s good to hear, glad you figured it out. Try some pine squirrel strips instead of the squirrel, it’s thinner strips, shorter hair and and thinner hide. It won’t hold as much water and cast like a wet sock. You can also trim your squirrel strips in half for thinner strips.

Name:	B9E26BB5-A2A2-4A21-8C7D-69EB92F5B40F.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	416.9 KB 
ID:	17011
    Any exuse to buy more tying materials