Thread: Genetic Engineering

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Genetic Engineering

I'd like to get some opinions on genetic modification of the fish we pursue. My self, I fear we may be entering dangerous waters. It seems to me that each time someone attempts to improve on our natural surroundings, it backfires Case in point, African killer bee research in S. America

Not to mention Jurassic Park (joke) I'm not trying to start a war here. Gimme me some insight

Default Genetic Engineering....

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I don't have a lot of concern about this subject even tho, I recognize that when humans have involved themselves in the past there have been some negative results. Maybe the potential use of CRISPR technology would change that. Altho, a Chinese scientist who used CRISPR for an unintended purpose is now cooling his heels in a Chinese prison. The potential for lack of external/internal controls and oversight is what concerns me.

It seems like hybridization in nature results in genetic change (e.g. engineering) and occurs every day....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, thank you but no, I'm not going to correct you or any one else here. As a matter of fact, I had to look up CRISPR to find out what it is. And I learned something. I hope the watchers will have natures best interest at heart.

Our domesticated animals are a good example of genetic change that has, for the most part, worked out well.

besides salmon that have been genetically modified for accelerated growth in aquaculture systems, what genetic engineering are you referring to in your post?

If you are referring to salmonids, then there does not appear to be much modification to bring back pure species, just the opposite. A book came out a few years ago by Anders Halverson called "An Entirely Synthetic Fish," where he thoroughly researched the history of the propagation of the McCloud strain of rainbow trout that have been raised in hatcheries by the billions and planted in waters all over the globe. Those trout are planted in traditionally native trout waters and hybridize the heck out of the trout that were already there. It would be nice if there were more protection of the native trout species and concern for their long term welfare. Many are being hybridized out of existence.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Default Genetic Engineering....

I've been thinking about this and decided that maybe I gave short shrift in answering the original question (or not). As I understand it, the point was about the potential consequences of deliberate hybridization of native Salmon/Trout species to create a new species(??), resulting in outcomes like Tiger Trout, etc. Seems like, in most instances where differing species of Trout are crossbred, the resulting species is not able to re-produce but water where the new species is introduced may stress the capacity of that water for carrying fish or species of prey. Natural hybridization between certain species of Trout occur everyday (Cutthroat/Rainbow = Cutbow) with negative consequences for Cutthroat. There're too many examples of genetic engineering in fisheries to cite here and many have been in existence for decades. As others have pointed out, fish hatcheries limit gene pools through in-breeding. Over time, that practice has had some negative impacts on fish raised in them but I don't see that changing anytime soon.

World-wide, commercial fish farming is expanding with similar outcomes to hatchery raised fish for release into recreational fisheries. Given the demand for seafood (fresh/saltwater), again world-wide, I don't see that changing any time soon either. Native fish/seafood numbers of all species are in decline just as habitats are, in spite of our best and not so good efforts to halt those declines.

I hate to say it but it all boils down to demand/supply. Demand is up/supply is down and some day supply may not be enough to feed the ever increasing population of the world that relies on it. So, just as it is agriculture, it seems that genetic engineering is a necessity to keep things going. Not a direct answer but....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown