Thread: balancing your Euro nymph outfits.... does it matter?

Default balancing your Euro nymph outfits.... does it matter?

Hello, this is for you Euro nymphers out there.

I'm curious as to which school of thought you fall into, and why. The first school of thought is the thought that the Euro nymph outfit ought to be as light as possible, and therefore you will use the smallest reel needed to do the job, even if that small reel causes your outfit to be tip-heavy. The 2nd school of thought is that balance is more important that overall weight, and you will select a larger reel to counterbalance the rod tip to even or near-even balance, even if the overall weight is more.

I've already read both books on this by George Daniel and watched both videos by Lance Egan.

And if you have tried it both ways, which do you prefer and why?

No need to state "whatever feels right to you" or the like, as that is a statement of the obvious....
    FISHBONZ!!

I ended up making it a point to get the tip balanced, being too heavy added a lot of straining to my wrist. much happier this way.

the total weight is nothing compared to most setups, so I'm fine with a an extra ounce or so.

YMMV

I have found that a slightly lip heavy approach helps me keep my rod more level with the water, and I can cradle the grip in my fingers and allow the rod to press up into my palm instead of having to extend my thumb or index finger onto the blank to keep the rod level.

Default Big Difference

I would say balance has made a big difference.

Arm strain is one issue, but in euro nymphing, rod control and sensitivity is also really critical. All these issues get addressed when your rod and reel is balanced. You no longer have the rod trying to fall down to the ground (better control), you can feel more subsurface activity (the balanced scale effect), and you reduce arm strain (good weight distribution).

Adding just enough weight to balance the rod is better than going for lowest total weight because the weight is closer to you so you don't feel it in your arm when euro nymphing like you do when it is tip heavy, and you don't have to maintain a death grip on the handle so your muscles can relax.

Instead of going for a reel to balance your rig an easier and interchangeable option is a fly rod balancing kit.

This is post that FINNFLYFISHING had been waiting years for to join the board!
    “Behind mountains, more mountains.” - Haitian proverb

Balance for me is key. Tip heavy and I get sore and lazy.

I'm with the balanced rod group and will go with more weight to have it rest comfortably in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by loose_shoes View Post
    This is post that FINNFLYFISHING had been waiting years for to join the board!
    I'm sure the opinion isn't colored by the product he's selling.

I've been high-sticking and now "euro-nymphing" for years. I've been fly fishing for probably 40 years, total, nymphing ~90% of my total casts. I've never made any real effort to balance my outfits and don't think I've been any the worse for it. I think I just naturally move my grip slightly up or down on the rod handle subsconsciouly to balance it. I have an Echo Shadow X rod that I love. It comes with small weights to add balance, but I've never felt the need to use them.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    I've been high-sticking and now "euro-nymphing" for years. I've been fly fishing for probably 40 years, total, nymphing ~90% of my total casts. I've never made any real effort to balance my outfits and don't think I've been any the worse for it. I think I just naturally move my grip slightly up or down on the rod handle subsconsciouly to balance it. I have an Echo Shadow X rod that I love. It comes with small weights to add balance, but I've never felt the need to use them.

It sounds as if your reel and rod are pretty close to balanced?

Im using a cabelas CZN and ended up using a pretty heavy reel to get it balanced for me.