Thread: Not just for superhumans

Red face Not just for superhumans

They're here.

They're easy to catch, pull like maniacs and don't like to give up.

I'm writing this for the folks who've never tried shad fishing in the American.
    You don't need to cast a country mile to catch them, especially with the low flows this year. Your heavy trout rod will do just fine. I use a shooting head but honestly this year I don't really need it. I've been using an intermediate sink rate head, it's clear like the slow sinking lines. With the low water you don't have to get very deep.

Any reel will work, I don't put shad on the reel anyway, just strip it all the way in. If you have waders and boots your good to go
    The popular holes on the American are good spots to start. They're popular because they're really good. Just show up and fish.
    If it's crowded don't worry, that's shad fishing and we all accept that. Don't worry about low or high holing someone, shad fishermen really don't move around much, just show up, say Hi and have at it.

Asking what's working is part of the game, there's so many fish that keeping secrets is just silly, we all pretty much help each other out. That includes spin fishermen.

The most popular pattern on the river is Jeff's Bloody Maria by far. It's attained local legendary status. Even spin guys have them.

A landing net is really handy too, shad are totally spastic and a net facilitates a quick pic and release. Most of us just tuck one into our wader belt while fishing.

If you're on the fence about trying it out just post on here for help. Me or someone who knows what they're doing will help you out.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Thanks Ed....Shad are the warm up for Steelheading.

AM and PM are usually best......low light is good......clouds and overcast is good.

Look for the cars and fishermen to find the shad.

*If you want to catch some and maybe bring someone along, call Andy Guibord or Bruce Porter who are guiding with a boat for Shad.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

For those who don’t have shooting or sinking line setups it’s okay too. Last year I took my trusty old 9’ 5wt out every week with just a WF all purpose line on it. I used 9ft 4x leader with split shot and two flies and I had a blast. My top flies were a Fox poopah cinnamon and a fly that had a pearl tinsel body and partridge soft hackle collar.

Hi Ed,
    It’s probably been 8 years since I’ve gone for shad, but thinking about taking my teenage son. I remember back then you don’t leave anything in your car and leave the glove compartment open. Is it just as bad or worse? I don’t want to have a person pullout a knife on us.
    Thanks
    Mark

Hi Mark,
    The same rules apply now. Leave an empty car. While violence is rare vehicle break-ins are not. I've not been hit but I have seen broken window glass in the parking lots on occasion.
    Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Is Riverbend park a good place to start? Also should I look for them in riffles, seams, or other areas? I might try to go out and get my first one soon...

NK