Thread: Baja- Loreto, La Paz or Los Cabos

Default Baja- Loreto, La Paz or Los Cabos

I've got some time in the latter half of June and the first half of August and and am considering a week in either Loreto or La Paz. I fished in Los Cabos a few times in through the 90s, but I suspect with all the development that was occurring in Cabo then that a lot of the charm has disappeared.

Any opinions on either destination the La Paz of Loreto destination in terms of fishing quality and logistics? Is either month better than the other?

June is a good month for dorado, roosters, possibly yellow fin and wahoo. Right now there's some big roosters and African pompano being caught. I will know more next Saturday since I"m due to fly to La Paz. A good captain to hook up with is Juan Carlos, he'll get you into fish and speaks English.
    Are you fishing as a single or will you have a partner.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Jay is one of the experts on La Paz area, East Cape and can answer anything you ever wanted to know about it.

I think May through November could all be pretty good down there but Jay has the exact info.

Carl Blackledge has spent more time in Loreto than anyone else I know.

We had trips there for decades and we went in August but Carl has the prime time dates deeply imbedded in his memory.

Baja is still one of the best deals for anyone on the West coast.

Our Nor Cal Striper fly fishers are the perfect candidates for that fishing.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hey Steve,

I been fishing Loreto for the past 22 years in a row and I find the last 10 days of June to be very productive, this year my days are June 17th -August first. We have a group of us (40) that come and go in between those dates we get everything wholesale including the rooms-boats and food, nobody get a free ride however we all get a great deal. The oasis hotel where we stay is Mexico at it's best and full of charm and smiley faces, perhaps you want to call me and we could BS on the phone ? 707-481-9000 I am in Santa Rosa.

Carl Blackledge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlin 2.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	16978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big dorado.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	16979   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0060.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	16980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TedR1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	16981  
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 05-04-2021 at 09:15 AM.

Two Mexico travel experts offering help here.

Make sure you ask a few questions about exit testing for COVID in these smaller towns and make sure you get your vaccine before you go.

Loreto is a great place, I loved my one visit down there and hope to return again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Hey Steve,

I been fishing Loreto for the past 22 years in a row and I find the last 10 days of June to be very productive, this year my days are June 17th -August first. We have a group of us (40) that come and go in between those dates we get everything wholesale including the rooms-boats and food, nobody get a free ride however we all get a great deal. The oasis hotel where we stay is Mexico at it's best and full of charm and smiley faces, perhaps you want to call me and we could BS on the phone ? 707-481-9000 I am in Santa Rosa.

Carl Blackledge
    Hi Carl, my wife and I are going to Loreto later on this year. I'm a local fly fisherman out of Martinez. I've been fly fishing for 10 years now. Is it ok if I contact you about Loreto? Thank you.

Blue angler,

Of course you can contact me...I'll be here for about 4-5 more days

Carl Blackledge 707-480-9000

In December, I will be on a family only, cruise/outing, leaving Cabo and stopping at varies islands. Having no control over destinations, I'll take whatever I get, and will be fishing from shore. I fish the salt 2 /3 times a year, catch a few fish, usually bonita. No guide will be hired but all other advice is welcome

For fly fishing I have always heard that the warmer months of May through October were best.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I called and spoke with Carl and he graciously provided a wealth of information about fishing Loreto. He covered everything in detail and was incredibly forthcoming. Get in touch with him.
    Last edited by Steve S; 06-15-2021 at 01:54 AM.