Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tahoe and Carson Pass area lakes

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Guy Dave View Post
    That is my understanding as well. Tigers are a cross between a brown trout and a brook trout and since that doesn't happen naturally, they are indeed sterile. They exist because of "fish hatchery magic." I've heard them called "Frankenfish" before. I've caught a few in Nevada, but none in CA so I was surprised when I first read this post.
    I have heard there are rare occurrences of naturally spawned tiger trout where brook and brown trout spawning overlap. Not sure if that is true or not. Like mules, I suspect an amorous horse and donkey may have gotten together before man intervened...For all intents and purposes any tiger trout you would target were produced in a test tube.

With respect to our "pure strains of trout" I wholeheartedly agree...just wish there were a few more of those around.

Default Tigers in CA

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    I have heard there are rare occurrences of naturally spawned tiger trout where brook and brown trout spawning overlap. Not sure if that is true or not. Like mules, I suspect an amorous horse and donkey may have gotten together before man intervened...For all intents and purposes any tiger trout you would target were produced in a test tube.

With respect to our "pure strains of trout" I wholeheartedly agree...just wish there were a few more of those around.

In 45 years fishing the Sierras I have only caught 1 Juvenile Tiger (BrownXBrook). Parker Creek (below lake) Mono County. It is very rare to come across one
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare