Thread: I was once invited to go to New Zealand for two weeks of fishing, free, door to door?

Default I was once invited to go to New Zealand for two weeks of fishing, free, door to door?

Some years back the New Zealand airlines, some top NZ fly fishing lodges, and the NZ Tourism department were having

a yearly trip where they invited 24 people from America who were influentials in the fly fishing travel science to come

for two weeks to see how wonderful their country was and how good their fly fishing was too.

My good friend, Pete Woolley, owner of Fly Fishing Outfitters in San Francisco, had been on this trip and put a good word in for me.

This was a completely free trip from the airport in Sacramento, CA to New Zealand and back, two weeks of world class fly fishing for

big wild trout in 4 famous lodges, meals, transfers, etc.

All I had to do was bring my gear and money for tips.

The wonderful people in New Zealand and Australia, both, love us children of the American soldiers who helped keep the Japanese

from occupying their countries in World War II. Nothing like going somewhere that you are treated so well.

New Zealand is comprised of two land islands, the North and the South. Both have magic fishing that is slightly different.

The North island has some remoted rivers with huge Rainbow trout that you get to by helicopters.

The North Island also has the famous Lake Taupo with it's tributaries that get runs of huge Rainbow trout.

Sacramento fly fishing legend Joe Shirshac took group to fish the Tongariro river for decades.

The South Island is famous for sight casting to large Brown trout in clear shallow streams.

The South Island has more of a tropical look to it with some natural "flora and fauna" that they preserved.

Famous Nor Cal fly fishing guide, Fred Gordon of Dunsmuir, CA, has been spending his winters in New Zealand.

You can fish New Zealand in our winter and you need to go for at least two weeks.

Many go there and rent a small camper van and with some research, do a "do it yourself" trip.

They can hire a local guide from time to time also.

Going through a fly shop on a annual group trip would a good idea too so you get some guidance.

There are virtually hundreds of YouTube videos of fly fishing in New Zealand you can watch too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

"the waiting is the hardest part"

in 2023, I turn the big 4-0. while we are considering making a deposit on an Antarctica trip for that year, more likely is that we will try to get back to NZ (or Patagonia), COVID permitting.

i've been to NZ three times and would be happy to share info with anyone considering the trip. DIY is a real possibility after a few days of acclimating to the fishing with a guide..., i've posted some other threads about it here and there.

in the past the exchange rate was very good and while I did not stay in fancy lodges I felt as though I was living "like a king" on a very modest daily allowance.

Default North Island of New Zealand

Have been a 20 time visitor just to trout fish. If you do your due diligence on the Internet and query folks who have been before you will have a wonderful time without a guide. More than willing to help at langenbeck@charter.net.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	92EFC78F-F8F6-49B3-A165-B55368E0EF5E.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	17047  
    Gordon Langenbeck
    Grants Pass, OR