Thread: Clear Camo Lines

Default Clear Camo Lines

I am getting ready to replace my Cortland Clear Camo sinking line. It has deteriorated significantly, and I attribute this to my doing the bad thing and not cleaning the fly line after each use. Has anyone out there had any experience using the Scientific Angler Clear Camo line? How does it compare with the Cortland line? Thanks.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

The Cortland was the first non-coily semi-clear slow sinking fly line.

I think that Rio has made some good ones.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by ricards View Post
    I am getting ready to replace my Cortland Clear Camo sinking line. It has deteriorated significantly, and I attribute this to my doing the bad thing and not cleaning the fly line after each use. Has anyone out there had any experience using the Scientific Angler Clear Camo line? How does it compare with the Cortland line? Thanks.
    I just bought the SA line and took it out this weekend. I also have the Rio camo line. One thing I like about the SA is it sinks more slowly that the Rio. I found that it kinks and knots some when you have a lot of line stripped in at your feet...not terrible, but more than I'd like. When not kinked it shoots line really well. Rio is very similar. I feel like diameter of Rio running portion is slightly larger. They are both good lines, and more similar than different. Either one will serve you well and catch you lots of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by ricards View Post
    Be sure to research the line specs before you purchase.
    Some lines like the SA Sonar Clear Intermediate are overweighted a full line size, meaning the box says WF5 but the first 30 feet is actually a 6 weight.

Some are true to weight, like the Cortland Clear Camo Intermediate.
    Some have shorter front tapers for turning over bigger bugs and some head longer heads overall so you can carry more line for distance.

I always go to the manufacturers website and look at the overall taper profile, the overall head length, and the weight of the first 30 feet. Then I can make an informed decision on which one to buy.

Gary

Of the three (Cortland, Rio, and Sci Anglers) it is my understanding that the Rio sinks the fastest. Also, as pointed out, the SA Sonar is overweighted a full line size. I will probably stick with the tried 'n true Cortland. Now, the question is: Do I buy the Camo or the Clear Intermediate. I have never fished the Cortland Clear Intermediate. I understand that it is a popular line with saltwater anglers.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir