Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jon Baiocchi, we lost a good one.

Any updates on memorial services/obituary?

Jon and I ran into each other a lot this winter on the Yuba. I talked to him about 30 minutes after he had landed his "unicorn" steelhead. We were going to fish together on the Middle Fork. Such a cool guy. A major loss to our community. So much wisdom and knowledge gone in an instant. Hope to join you at the memorial.
    Life and our sport are precious. Never taking my days on the river for granted. Much love Jon. You will be missed.

Jon's big Steelhead......

https://www.theunion.com/lifestyles/...e-on-the-yuba/

Still no obituary.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post

Still no obituary.
    We live a couple miles from where Jon died. Watched search and rescue going over the hill with a litter . It was a pretty big response, but our local paper still hasn't done an article, much less an obit. When my step dad died, the paper wanted $250. to run an obit (we didn't buy). Wonder if that is now par for the course.

Pretty much. Complimentary obituaries went the way of $1.50 per gallon gas. Down in the bay, local papers charge as much as $500. Unfortunately I had to find out not too long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    We live a couple miles from where Jon died. Watched search and rescue going over the hill with a litter . It was a pretty big response, but our local paper still hasn't done an article, much less an obit. When my step dad died, the paper wanted $250. to run an obit (we didn't buy). Wonder if that is now par for the course.
    If this wasn't news and an opportunity (now missed) to inform and educate, I wonder what else was going on in your local news up there.

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    If this wasn't news and an opportunity (now missed) to inform and educate, I wonder what else was going on in your local news up there.
    A lot. Depends if anyone show up to work that day. It is a small local news sheet. Days can go by before it publishes anything outside of Covid updates and notes from a board of supervisor's meeting. It's free on-line and there is no longer a print edition. One of the perks of living in the weeds, is that you don't get fed a daily ration of "news" about shootings, politics, drug busts, etc. I don't miss it one bit!

I just received Jon's Obituary from his sister, Christina:

"Where to begin?

Fly fisherman, naturalist, guide, educator, author, speaker, skateboarder, professional snowboarder,
    BMX and motocross racer, Jon Francis Baiocchi passed suddenly on Thursday morning, April 22, 2021
    while guiding on his beloved Middle Fork of the Feather River, near Cromberg. He was 55.

Jon's remarkable and unconventional life began on November 15, 1965 in San Jose, California, two
    years prior to his parents, Bob and Lois Baiocchi, relocating their young family of six to rural Paradise
    to live closer to nature and native fisheries. Under the instruction of his father and elder brother, Jon
    had a rod in his hands by age 6 and was guiding professionally by 30 as “Baiocchi's Troutfitters”.

The Jack London of the family, Jon's was a life well-lived. He recognized this and was grateful for it.

Jon is survived by his brother Joel, sisters Christina and Teresa, niece Luci Grace, nephew Justin, and
    an anthology of reports, videos, writings, and musings on fly-fishing and all things flora and fauna.
    A memorial is being planned and will be announced as soon as possible.

Correspondence can be addressed to the Baiocchi Family at: P.O. Box 917, Mendocino, CA 95460

Contributions can be directed in Jon's name to: Trout Unlimited for watershed restoration purposes."

“I would rather be ashes than dust!
    I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze
    than it should be stifled by dryrot.
    I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow,
    than a sleepy and permanent planet.
    The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.
    I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.
    I shall use my time.”
    ~ J. London

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I was stunned to learn of this tragic news. Jon was an incredibly skilled fly fisher, as well as a much in demand guide and speaker who will be remembered by his tremendous spirit, and the joy he brought to so many. May his memory be eternal.