Thread: Cheap Source of Frames for Rafts & Toons ?

Default Cheap Source of Frames for Rafts & Toons ?

Came across this adv. on CList- guy in Columbia, CA makes custom frames for inflatables.

Prices seem to be 50% of NRS frames and it appears in pics that he uses NRS connectors and oar risers/mounts.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/spo...309864317.html

Has anyone used this guy or know this guy?

I am considering a frame for my Watermaster Kodiak for the rare occasion my wife wants to float with on gentle water. Buying a frame or assembling one out of NRS components is expensive.

I made a dolly out of PVC pipe that can be strapped on top in front. It is a bench but her feet are in the water and no seat back (after 48yrs of marriage things like that matter to her).

Jim

Hi Jay,

You may want to search the Southern Oregon CL pages as there are a lot of used rafts and components there. My guess is you will find something worth making the drive.

As for the person selling frames: The corner bends on most of them look good but that first photo (cooler, purple raft) those corner bends are a little scary! Bending any pipe like that (fames tend to be tubing...not pipe) weakens the metal quite a bit. Maybe it was the first one they made...?

Also, if there is a good welder/metal shop in your area you might want to ask how much a welded frame might cost, using your design. Could be much less than you might think even with adding the cost of the oarlock bases.

Try this: https://medford.craigslist.org/bpo/d...309935831.html

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by BobVP View Post
    Hi Jay,

You may want to search the Southern Oregon CL pages as there are a lot of used rafts and components there. My guess is you will find something worth making the drive.

As for the person selling frames: The corner bends on most of them look good but that first photo (cooler, purple raft) those corner bends are a little scary! Bending any pipe like that (fames tend to be tubing...not pipe) weakens the metal quite a bit. Maybe it was the first one they made...?

Also, if there is a good welder/metal shop in your area you might want to ask how much a welded frame might cost, using your design. Could be much less than you might think even with adding the cost of the oarlock bases.

Try this: https://medford.craigslist.org/bpo/d...309935831.html

Good luck
    BobVP- Thanks. After your post I realized I did not need a frame since it is the ultimate solution to something that may or may not happen 1-3 times a year---- my wife deciding to accompany me on mild water.

Plus I remembered that I have the optional floor for the WM Kodiak and that when I made the dolly from 1-1/4" pvc I designed it to convert into a bench- so all I have to do is to add a padded folding boat seat on a 7" swiveling pedestal (and use the floor) so wife will be happy.

Jim