Thread: Frenchman Lake tomorrow

Default Frenchman Lake tomorrow

Planning a trip to Frenchman tomorrow. Taking my SS Midge 11’ Boston Whaler with five rods. Armed with midges, nymphs and balanced leeches. I have a plan of attack and plan on fishing all day. Before I go are there any insights you might want to share on how to fish this lake this time of the year? Thanks in advance and I will share my day with you on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    Planning a trip to Frenchman tomorrow. Taking my SS Midge 11’ Boston Whaler with five rods. Armed with midges, nymphs and balanced leeches. I have a plan of attack and plan on fishing all day. Before I go are there any insights you might want to share on how to fish this lake this time of the year? Thanks in advance and I will share my day with you on Thursday.
    Looking forward to your report. Frenchman is a lake I've only spent limited time on because Davis was always closer. It is on my (long) list of places to spend more time fishing.

Water level is low? May want to check to see if ramps are operable. I know last Fall, the lake level was very very low.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    Water level is low? May want to check to see if ramps are operable. I know last Fall, the lake level was very very low.
    I been there this time of year where the gates have been locked and u cannot drive down to launch ramp or any access points. This time of year the main ramp and the area toward where the creek comes into lake is usually really good.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    Oh it was low!!!! The dock was at the ramp was twenty feet from the edge of the water. I think the lake must be down close to 10 feet down. Fortunately for me my boat is so small there was no issue launching since the concrete ramp did extend to the water. The spring run off might add a little more volume to the lake but scary what it might look like in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    Oh it was low!!!! The dock was at the ramp was twenty feet from the edge of the water. I think the lake must be down close to 10 feet down. Fortunately for me my boat is so small there was no issue launching since the concrete ramp did extend to the water. The spring run off might add a little more volume to the lake but scary what it might look like in the fall.
    But how was the fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyasdad View Post
    I been there this time of year where the gates have been locked and u cannot drive down to launch ramp or any access points. This time of year the main ramp and the area toward where the creek comes into lake is usually really good.
    I took your advice and went to the north end of the lake where the creek comes into the lake. So sad its just a trickle coming into the lake yesterday. Only two other boats on a windy blistery the lake. They both were trolling and two fly guys on pontoon boats working with indicators and stripping flies. I covered a good portion of the north end in my boat using my fish finder to figure out the contour. I found that becasue of the low water situation my usual spots when the lake is full were all dry docked. Even the creek bed coming in was too shallow all the way into the lake. Most of the area I have fished later in the spring two years ago was either mud or a foot or two of water. I couldn't find a drop off to save my life. The next idea was to fish some points. I did manage to catch two on off a point stripping a black AP but again it wasn't very deep, maybe 7-8 feet.

I spent so much time trying to fins a fishy location. At one point I heard the two guys in their pontoon boats clambering with atta boys from a long distance. On a lake with high winds sound carried down wind very effortlessly. The guy's voices had a trace of celebration. Now it certainly gets your attention when the bite is slow. I heard the same thing just minutes later. Soon it was happening frequently. Ok enough of this flailing the line with no action thing going. I started my motor and worked my way over to talk strategy with the guys. We talked earlier sharing some ideas and went our ways. I felt comfortable enough to to ask what was working. Mostly it was the depth. They were fishing in water close to ten feet deep. They used indo rigs at 9 feet. They must have caught double digit number of fish between them. I also saw them strip as well. Mostly they worked in a small area. I managed to fish not too far. I got two more this time on indo rigs with a black midge.

So if I go out next time I know the spot The fish are great fighters. They look healthy and many were in the Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1473.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	983.6 KB 
ID:	16925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1476.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	971.5 KB 
ID:	16926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1478.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	16927Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1481 (1).jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	982.6 KB 
ID:	1692814-16 inch size range. Hope yo all get a chance to get some tight lines soon at Frenchman. I will go a couple more times then take a chance on Lake Davis.
    Last edited by Quinnphoto; 04-22-2021 at 10:48 AM.

This year and last have been exceptionally dry. A third year next year will be devastating to some of the fisheries.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	16929

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    This year and last have been exceptionally dry. A third year next year will be devastating to some of the fisheries.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	16929
    Scary how dry it is. I didn’t know we are second behind the 76-77 drought years. I remember how low the lake levels were back then.