~40 years ago we went to Rio Chico in Venezuela for the first successful trip in stained water

for very small Baby Tarpon, 2 to 6 pounds. Some caught large fish that were 40 to 100 pounds.

I went with a group out of The Fly Shop in Redding, California to explore Del Carmen on Termonous Lagoon.

It was pretty well fishing out even by there but in it's day was a big deal for giant Tarpon.

We then fished the length of Belize for 20 years with minimal success on small Tarpon but had wonderful trips.

Belize is still a great place for taking the wife or family with snorkeling and a huge variety of fishing.

Next Bill Martes told us about Isla Blanca near Cancun which "was" wonderful 20 years ago.

It is a huge 'super' shallow lagoon with baby Tarpon, Snook, schools of small Permit and Bonefish.

It has slowed some but I would go there. You need good casting skills to be successful there.

You are quietly poled in a small skiff in 2 - 3 feet of clear water on a white sand bottom. Extremely exciting sight casting.

Next we went to Isla Holbox with wonderful Alejandro Vega for baby Tarpon and giants right off the beach too.

It is a nice little island with some amenities for adventurous folks.

Leo Gutterres and I found Tarpon Cay Lodge which we thought was "The Place". Good baby Tarpon fishing plus inshore giant

adult Tarpon from 50 to 150 pounds in ~20 -30 feet of clear water.

We fished out of Campeche in the Mexican Yucatan which is the little gem of the Yucatan.

I recommend everyone go there but the fishing has been really pounded to death now.

Finally we helped Marco discover Isla del Sabalo and it is the "Holy Grail" of Baby Tarpon fishing today.

Very basic accommodations and simple food in a remote fishing village with zero tourists.

This is the best place we have found for baby Tarpon, 5 to 30 pounds in clear shallow grass flats and small clear rivers.

https://www.flywatertravel.com/desti...sla-del-sabalo

My article on fly fishing baby Tarpon:

https://www.billkiene.com/articles/f...r-baby-tarpon/

I did go to Cuba a few years back but sadly we did not have a good run of Tarpon that week/year.

Depending on the political situation I highly recommend going to Cuba for sightseeing in Havana and fishing.

Today I have to pull my boat 2 miles from my second home in Florida to fish the Sebastian river for Tarpon from 5 to 50 pounds.