Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Catalytic converter stolen under Hwy 20 Bridge on Lower Yuba

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kondo View Post
    Yesterday, while I was fishing the lower Yuba, a thief cut off and stole the catalytic converter from my Prius parked under the Parks Bar Bridge. I read that this kind of theft is quite common. So if you are a Prius or hybrid owner, you might want to invest in a theft-deterrent metal plate. (That is what I'm going to do.) One article said thieves go after catalytic converters on hybrids because the precious metals in them are less degraded and fetch higher prices.
    Driving home in a super-loud car, I felt like a boom car driver.
    Ken
    On March 1st my Ford F-250 was stolen for a 2nd time from the north side of the Hwy 20 bridge while on a guide trip. The theft happened between 2 and 4pm. I actually laughed when I realized my truck was gone. CHP found it in Marysville 2 days later totally stripped. Probably the same thieves that took your catalytic converter. CHP also informed me it was the first vehicle stolen from the north side of the bridge, as most of the thefts are on the south side.

Oh well, it's just a truck and I've moved on. - J.
    Last edited by Troutstalker55B; 04-21-2021 at 06:21 AM.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Sorry to hear that, Jon. I remember the first time your truck was stolen.

Here is an update to the catalytic converter loss.
    I tried to have another one installed but the insurance company decided to call it a total loss and is taking my fishing car away. They don’t want to keep insuring a 2005 Prius with 230K miles on it any more. I will have to find another car with the settlement. And I will have to change where and how I fish (I don’t necessarily mean the way I cast although that can certainly use some improvements).

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kondo View Post
    Sorry to hear that, Jon. I remember the first time your truck was stolen.

Here is an update to the catalytic converter loss.
    I tried to have another one installed but the insurance company decided to call it a total loss and is taking my fishing car away. They don’t want to keep insuring a 2005 Prius with 230K miles on it any more. I will have to find another car with the settlement. And I will have to change where and how I fish (I don’t necessarily mean the way I cast although that can certainly use some improvements).

Ken
    It's all good now! My truck was totaled as well, and with the insurance payback I was able to get into a 2020 TRD Tacoma Sport. You may want to reach out to Jana at Enterprise Car Sales in Roseville, she got the truck I've always wanted at a great price and incredibly low mileage.

Sorry for your situation, it sucks, but the trout will still be there waiting for you! - J.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Quote Originally Posted by grnwtrs View Post
    I'm sorry, but I must challenge the fact that we have "career politicians" at this point in our state government.

Contrary, we have CAREER LOBBYISTS (SP) who take control of the newly elected "pol"and explain to him/her how things work.
    Then when our new elected "pol" is termed out, we elect someone else, NEW. to the job. And so it goes.

How else are we to build up expertise, and I mean expertise in government if we keep turning out our local state office holders. We don't do this "term out" after so many years on the Federal level of offices , and I am unclear how prevalent that policy is on the local school board ,city, county level.

That is just my observation from the local level. I am just a pathetic fisher person for trout, steelhead and salmon, and anything else that comes along. When I say fisher person, I mean that I fish and hope to catch. Lots of fishing, little catching. I love every minute of fishing, and have never regretted those hours doing the "last cast"

Regards, Gene
    Sorry but career politicians don’t “term” out as you say. They just find another spot they get appointed or elected to and keep making horrible choices. If politicians truly termed out the corruption in our government would be substantially less I would assume.

Those locks on the Catalytic Converters certainly help, we lost two in the past year but none since we added the locks (knock on wood).

I really envy you guys living in the rural areas of CA. Down here in the Bay Area cities it is a different story. In Oakland they are averaging between 500-600 reported crimes per week with assault being the leading crime. Oakland alone has over 40 murder\homocides this year so far after the first 100 days, so pretty much one every other day. They weirdest thing is the people still wanting to defund the Police amid these huge crime statistics. I do really miss not being able to fish some places in CA because of car break-ins, I won't fish the lower American, Lower Yuba, Putah, and a few other areas unless someone else drives. It is really a shame but our politicians and many very vocal people don't really don't seem to really care about it. I love getting away from the cities and enjoying the mountains and rivers. But I still feel the need to lock or hide everything in my truck.

"I'm sorry, but I must challenge the fact that we have "career politicians" at this point in our state government".

I just going to give one example : President Joe Biden close to 50 years in politics and like him there are plenty of them. With state flavor Pelosi, Feinstein, Newsom and many others.

Quote Originally Posted by grnwtrs View Post
    I'm sorry, but I must challenge the fact that we have "career politicians" at this point in our state government.

Contrary, we have CAREER LOBBYISTS (SP) who take control of the newly elected "pol"and explain to him/her how things work.
    Then when our new elected "pol" is termed out, we elect someone else, NEW. to the job. And so it goes.

How else are we to build up expertise, and I mean expertise in government if we keep turning out our local state office holders. We don't do this "term out" after so many years on the Federal level of offices , and I am unclear how prevalent that policy is on the local school board ,city, county level.

That is just my observation from the local level. I am just a pathetic fisher person for trout, steelhead and salmon, and anything else that comes along. When I say fisher person, I mean that I fish and hope to catch. Lots of fishing, little catching. I love every minute of fishing, and have never regretted those hours doing the "last cast"

Regards, Gene
    Last edited by mogaru; 04-22-2021 at 02:43 PM.

Don't worry California, you'll be just fine:
    Caitlyn Jenner for Governor!

http://caitlynjenner.com/

RALMFAO
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJeff View Post
    Don't worry California, you'll be just fine:
    Caitlyn Jenner for Governor!

http://caitlynjenner.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mogaru View Post
    "I'm sorry, but I must challenge the fact that we have "career politicians" at this point in our state government".

I just going to give one example : President Joe Biden close to 50 years in politics and like him there are plenty of them. With state flavor Pelosi, Feinstein, Newsom and many others.
    I've worked in politics my whole career, and like any other profession there are people who are good at it and people who suck at it. What makes it more challenging than most endeavors is that while it is complex and challenging, people who don't understand it like to dumb it down and think that their big "idea" and big mouth are sufficient qualifications to be elected to something.

Like anything else that's worthwhile it requires work, study, experience, and dedication. Go get elected and take your big idea to the state legislature and you will find that there are 100 others who have ideas and agendas, just as big as yours, but the people who are successful, who get things done, are the ones who have learned the craft and understand the issues intimately, who can build alliances, and trust among their colleagues.

People who charge in screaming the system stinks, promising to screw everyone and kick the table over rarely if ever succeed.

Politics is a career and a profession and people who dedicate themselves to it be they left or right, red or blue, R or D, and get good at it deserve to be reelected. For example, it takes decades to understand the US tax code and if we put 4 year term limits on Congress, the only people in the building who would understand how it works are the lobbyists. Same for the school funding mechanism in California, Prop 98. Do you want lobbyists running our country?

Our State legislature functioned much better before term limits were introduced. Today legislators are happy to pass laws or taxes knowing that when they take effect, they will be out of office and it will be someone else's problem. We live in an era of shortsighted, instant gratification, politics and its not healthy.

For those deriding the likes of Joe Biden or others who have spent 50 years in public service, you should know they would make 10X on the outside lobbying for special interests. They choose not to do so because they have ideals that they value more than money.

There's an old lobbyist joke. A retired Marine Corps General signs up as a lobbyist for a firm that represents defense contractors. First week on the job and Boeing calls him and says they need to talk to the Secretary of Defense because the contract for the new Navy fighter is coming up for bid. the General says "sure, that will cost you $100,000." "WHAT???" "$100,000 for a five minute phone call????" says the Boeing CEO. "You're not paying for the 5 minutes, you're paying for the 30 years I spent in the Corps that ensures that the Secretary will answer the call." This is how DC works and the people who stay on the inside rather than cash in on the outside should be commended not derided.

2 cents.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Like anything else that's worthwhile it requires work, study, experience, and dedication. Go get elected and take your big idea to the state legislature and you will find that there are 100 others who have ideas and agendas, just as big as yours, but the people who are successful, who get things done, are the ones who have learned the craft and understand the issues intimately, who can build alliances, and trust among their colleagues.

People who charge in screaming the system stinks, promising to screw everyone and kick the table over rarely if ever succeed.
    Was Donald Trump then the exception to the rule? In terms of changing the direction of a country and unifying one side of the aisle, he's arguably one of the most successful "politicians" ever. Doesn't change the fact that he was a terrible president and a general POS person, but he was and continues to be a politically successful flamethrower...at least in his own party.