Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Catalytic converter stolen under Hwy 20 Bridge on Lower Yuba

Default Catalytic converter stolen under Hwy 20 Bridge on Lower Yuba

Yesterday, while I was fishing the lower Yuba, a thief cut off and stole the catalytic converter from my Prius parked under the Parks Bar Bridge. I read that this kind of theft is quite common. So if you are a Prius or hybrid owner, you might want to invest in a theft-deterrent metal plate. (That is what I'm going to do.) One article said thieves go after catalytic converters on hybrids because the precious metals in them are less degraded and fetch higher prices.
    Driving home in a super-loud car, I felt like a boom car driver.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kondo View Post
    Yesterday, while I was fishing the lower Yuba, a thief cut off and stole the catalytic converter from my Prius parked under the Parks Bar Bridge.
    What a bummer. ANY vehicle parked at the Park's Bar bridge is at risk. Thieves consider the place a pick 'n pull. I lost an Avon drifter, its frame, ice chest, and oars stolen from the back of a locked pick up (they smashed the camper shell door with a rock). Mid day and in plain sight of the road. When I filed a police report in Marysville, the sergeant said it was the most burglary prone area in Yuba County - and that says a lot. It is at the extreme edge of the county and they can't afford to patrol the area often and the tweakers know it.

What he said! One of the many reasons I don't fish the Yuba any longer. The question is not if your car is going to be broken into, it's only when.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    What a bummer. ANY vehicle parked at the Park's Bar bridge is at risk. Thieves consider the place a pick 'n pull. I lost an Avon drifter, its frame, ice chest, and oars stolen from the back of a locked pick up (they smashed the camper shell door with a rock). Mid day and in plain sight of the road. When I filed a police report in Marysville, the sergeant said it was the most burglary prone area in Yuba County - and that says a lot. It is at the extreme edge of the county and they can't afford to patrol the area often and the tweakers know it.

Man, that sucks. I was broken into one day several years ago. They didn't touch about $2k in fly rods, or a brand spanking new set of Titleist AP2 irons that were in my car. They did take 20 CD's, my clothing bag and cell phone. Unfortunately for them, the cell phone was what led the Yuba County Sheriff's to their location and they nailed them. House full of tweakers in Marysville. They said their garage looked like a swap meet.

Quote Originally Posted by yubaman View Post
    Man, that sucks. I was broken into one day several years ago. They didn't touch about $2k in fly rods, or a brand spanking new set of Titleist AP2 irons that were in my car. They did take 20 CD's, my clothing bag and cell phone. Unfortunately for them, the cell phone was what led the Yuba County Sheriff's to their location and they nailed them. House full of tweakers in Marysville. They said their garage looked like a swap meet.
    Amazing they got caught. Part of the problem is they can do anything they want with very little risk of consequences. In most cases, the police report is just for insurance purposes. We had $15,000 of repairs on four new Tundras parked overnight at the office. Catalytic converters on three. New gas tanks on two because they just drill a hole and collect the gas in a bucket (why siphon). Two tailgates stolen. Gotta love California.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Gotta love California.
    This doesn't just happen in California

Sorry to hear that, that sucks! I would love to exterminate all the tweak scum of the earth, and believe me I would enjoy doing it!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8335F062-BF0C-4039-AA4D-CCAD41BE0BA3.jpeg 
Views:	121 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	16890

Maybe it is time to leave "good old" California, all together?

With all the homeless not being dealt with.

Prisons being emptied and closed down.

Felonies are now Misdemeanors. Misdemeanors and now Incidents.

All the illegals flooding in now with open borders.

Police being persecuted and defunded.

To say nothing about our infrastructure.......our roads are terrible.

High gas prices and taxes going up.

Not the California I grew up in back in the 1950s........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Show us jobs in Wyoming that pay and we will have many willing to leave. Sadly, CA is still not a bad place to make a buck.

And if you’ve been following along, the borders are not wide open...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Maybe it is time to leave "good old" California, all together?

With all the homeless not being dealt with.

Prisons being emptied and closed down.

Felonies are now Misdemeanors. Misdemeanors and now Incidents.

All the illegals flooding in now with open borders.

Police being persecuted and defunded.

To say nothing about our infrastructure.......our roads are terrible.

High gas prices and taxes going up.

Not the California I grew up in back in the 1950s........
    I tried, for a short while, to not respond to this but it is just sticking a little too much...

Ah yes, the 50s in California, the decade of my youth as well, where:

Logging companies essentially destroyed tens of millions of salmon and trout with siltation and total disregard for wildlife.

When there was no care at all about vehicles spoiling the air.

A time when interracial marriage was actually outlawed!

When one could not buy a house because of one's color or nationality.

Litter covered the roadways and toxic waste was spewed into waterways.

Bill, I absolutely respect what you have done and what you keep doing to keep this sport we all love alive and healthy and growing and I even "get" what you mean by the words you wrote above...the lack of common decency that seemed to be the norm 60 years ago...everywhere, not just California.
    But playing the "good old days" card across the board does a lot of injustice to both the evils of the past and the hard work that has been done to bring about positive change. (My daughter and granddaughter could not have attended college in most of the colleges in CA during the 1950s. Now they can.)
    I too miss that sense we had of life being kinder...people being kinder and more helpful, but the reality was we were mostly blind to the bad things happening to the Earth in the name of progress. We tried out best (unwittingly) to not take a closer look at how things were being done just as long as there was a promise of profit. We lost so much.

Just as much as turning a blind eye to all that was "bad" or ill-conceived and believing everything was rosy it would be just as bad of me to propound that the entire era was evil. It was not simply "one or the other". We started paying attention to how to do things better and we started changing things with an eye to future generations (human and animal) surviving.

Human history is...complicated. Always has been and always will be.

I do not want to go back to being able to kill 20 or more trout in a day. I do not want to willy-nilly take abalone off the rocks of my home coast. I want limits! I want people and companies to be held accountable for disregarding the Earth and for disregarding each other.

It is an absolute shame that the crime of stealing somebody else's stuff...of breaking into their cars...of being impoverished by drugs (or any other reason) has become the norm but it happened in the 50s as well! I do not have any answers but I do know the ills of the world cannot all be blamed of political situations, such as people coming here to make abetter life (Both my mother and father did just that! One in 1912 and one in 1926), police being held accountable (They should be..as everyone should be...and, I have five people on my family that have had careers in law enforcement).

I will offer this: World population in 1955 was just under 2,800,000,000. Population today: 7,900,000,000! We cannot continue to pretend this is not happening without making sure everyone os cared for and part of that is changing the out of balance levels of health care, jobs and food distribution. Without that...with just making overt threats to people on drugs that steal things...there are going to be a lot more thefts before things change.

Yes, it pisses me off too and I hate worrying about where I park and I am sorry for everyone who is violated in this way...I hate that the beautiful foothills of California seem to be the beehive of meth addiction....I hate it and it makes me sad, but I do not want to go back to the evils (hidden and otherwise) we have crawled and clawed out of from the days of my youth.

With all respect.