Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tropical Family Destinations with Fly Fishing too!

Thanks guys,
    I might have the flight opurtunity presented to me at the end of the year and have been thinking of where to go. Fiji is on the list

Re Namotu,you should know that there's no flats fishing there (as with the rest of Fiji actually).Any fishing will be game fishing out of a boat which is a whole different ball game.You will need some serious gear for this as the species include Tuna,GT's,Spanish Mackeral etc.that are usually targeted on heavy tackle (read:short stick rods with overhead & spinning reels).Most people go there for the surfing as it's not far from famous breaks like "Cloudbreak" and "Restaurants".The accomodation is at a boutique resort.

Most tropical destinations with any amenities at all has pretty well been fished out.

Any place nice enough for a wife or family vacation won't be any better fishing than in Florida.

When people complain about the remoteness, length of time to get there (days), poor lodging, simple food and bugs

you know the fishing is still good. The best remote untouched fishing left in the world is going to be pretty rough conditions.

I spent many years trying to find the "Holy Grail" of Baby Tarpon fishing.

~40 years ago we went to Rio Chico in Venezuela for the first successful trip in stained waters.

We then fished the length of Belize for 20 years with minimal success but had wonderful trips.

Next Bill Martes told us about Isla Blanca near Cancun which "was" wonderful 20 years ago.

Leo Gutterres and I found Tarpon Cay Lodge which we thought was "The Place".

Finally we helped Marco discover Isla del Sabalo and it is the "Holy Grail" of Baby Tarpon fishing.

https://www.flywatertravel.com/desti...sla-del-sabalo

Best months are June through September.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Boy, if you’re talking about a family trip, Belize is hard to beat. we stay at an all-inclusive resort north of Placentia (Dagringa), and between the ruins, jungle tours, snorkeling, kayaking, etc, and great food and drinks, the fishing is fantastic. Mainly small bonefish and permit, but snook and tarpon as well. Also bring a 5 weight - walking the beach and casting Clousers to 10-12” skipjacks and jack crevalle at sunrise was as much fun as chasing the bigger fishies. People are fantastic as well. Can’t recommend Belize highly enough.
    Last edited by hwchubb; 04-18-2021 at 01:51 PM.

Belize is hard to beat for a couples trip or family trip.

Small Caye Caulker is good for a day trip from near by larger Ambergris Caye.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........