Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2021 AR Shad Reports

Floated with Earle Sloan mid-day. It was slow and we only got 9. I’m sure if it was an evening float we would have done better. We saw a lot of shad but in slow shallow water you couldn’t swing.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 05-30-2021 at 05:08 PM.

Floated for a couple of hours this morning with Earle. It was slow and Earle got 5 to the boat while I LDRed a couple. There were quite a few other boats and anglers and I didn’t see much catching. Wet waded a hole with Earle this afternoon and I got there before him and started fishing. I didn’t get a single bump and I thought I was going to be skunked. Earle showed up and waded out to his spot where he has been doing good. I crossed the river to fish a seam and hooked up on a regular basis with the Ronald. Ended up with 8 in a couple of hours.

So Jeff, do you think the run is through for this year. I was planning on driving to Sac sometime late next week to pick up a few rods for a friend. thought maybe I'd bring a rod to try for a shad. I guess I better tie up a couple flies.. a #3 sink would do the job or maybe a floating, since you mentioned that you crossed the river, must really be low.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Jay, The run is not over but a lot of them have already spawned due to the warm, low water. Yes, the river is very low this year so finding water you can swings tough. It is so low you can cross the river in places you normally couldn’t. Tried swinging a flat yesterday that had a couple of small pods but the current was so slow you could smoke a cigarette between casts. Gave up on that after a couple of casts. Don’t limit yourself with only one line. I’ve been mostly using Type 3 and Intermediate sink tips but in some deep runs 30 ft of T-8.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 06-01-2021 at 07:24 AM.

Jay, let me know what day your coming up and we can get together for the evening. I'll be fishing trout Monday/Tuesday with Dan Williams.

Fished this morning at three different spots. Had 5 LDRs between the 3 and was about to give up but started hooking them at the top of the last riffle. Saw Andy with his clients nymphing and they were hooking up on every pass.

I guess in this year's low flows indicator fishing is the go to method for Shad.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Here’s a summary of how this run has gone for me:

Fished 12 days in April and averaged 27 per day.

Fished all 31 days of May and averaged 12 per day.

I did well in April down low on the A because they were stacked up in certain holes as they were coming into the river. The average dropped off in May because I primarily fished the upper river to get away from the crowded line ups and they were more spread out. The Lipstick worked early in the run but now my go to fly is the Ronald McDonald. I tweaked it to a Frenchie style Euro fly and it has been a great producer.

Jeff,

Thanks for the reports.

Can you provide photos, tying instructions, website links, etc. for the Ronald McDonald and the Lipstick?

Thanks,

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Here’s a summary of how this run has gone for me:

Fished 12 days in April and averaged 27 per day.

Fished all 31 days of May and averaged 12 per day.

I did well in April down low on the A because they were stacked up in certain holes as they were coming into the river. The average dropped off in May because I primarily fished the upper river to get away from the crowded line ups and they were more spread out. The Lipstick worked early in the run but now my go to fly is the Ronald McDonald. I tweaked it to a Frenchie style Euro fly and it has been a great producer.
    It's been an interesting season!
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V