Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2021 AR Shad Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    I've been looking for a drift boat rowing class/clinic in Sacramento and never found anything on the Google. Anyone have details?
    Local American river drift boat guide Bruce Porter can help you.

916/257-7441
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Fished a run I hadn’t been to since last year. It was slow and I only got a couple. Went to another run a little lower and got a handful. Jared Shakin came by with clients and pointed out a school in a tail out but the current was slow and it was hard to get a good swing. All caught on the Ronald McDonald and a Type 3 sink tip.

Did a solo float today. It was fairly busy with 4 other drift boats (Tom Perrino, Ethan Bush, Chris Kennedy and Chelsea and one other boat). It wasn’t red hot but I did get into double digits. Hot fly was the Ronald followed by the Lipstick. I even caught one on a tweaked old school Wet Pinky.

Solo float again today. It was not consistent but got into double digits. Same flies worked and I added a Type 8 sink tip into the rotation. Bruce Porter was ahead of me and Andy came down rowing Paul’s beautiful red wood boat.

Another solo float today. There a couple of boats ahead of me (Victor in his blue raft with clients and Mary Ellen with her friend in her Metal Head pram) and 3 bobber angler below Victor. I passed Mary Ellen and asked if I could anchor below her and above Victor. I started hooking shad right off the bat. Victor moved down river and the bobber guys immediately moved up. I told Mary Ellen to move down to the prime spot. She eventually moved down river because she wanted to get away from the bobber guys would kept creeping up. Next thing I know bobbers are flying over my bow. I didn’t say anything and just kept fishing and hooking shad. Charlie Gonzales and Adam showed in Charlie’s drift boat. They didn’t stay long but I was great the see Charlie on the water.

Great to be on the sticks again, it had been too long. Fishing sucked for us, but Adam went back out in the evening and got double digits swinging nymphs on a full floating line. Good to see you Jeff, thanks for the flies!

You have a drift boat?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Waded a long run mid-morning. There were shad rising but I couldn’t get them to grab. LDRed a few in the tail out and went back up to the middle of the run. Landed a few but every time I hooked one the bobbers came flying near my line. I bet it was good this evening!

Those bobbers sound like a damn menace. Every time you get on some fish they move in on your spot. I have never caught a shad but I am reading Founding Fish which I got at Bill’s garage sale so I am getting interested in catching one but the bobber menace is a deterrent for sure. Presently I am on a search for spring chinook so no shad this week but maybe later. Thanks for posting.

~10,000 Spring Chinook went up Butte Creek this Spring.

CDFW has been working on the spring Chinook for several decades now.

Of all the tribs of the Sacramento river above here, Butte Creek has been the

star of the show.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958