Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2021 AR Shad Reports

I thought it was illegal to fish for spring run Chinook?

NK

Friends of mine have been catching spring run Chinooks while throwing swimbaits for Stripers this Spring near Knights Landing.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Fished early this morning and only got one and LDRed one. There were shad in the run but they didn’t want a swung fly. Ben Thompson came by and did a few drifts and his clients were hooking up on every pass Indo fishing. I guess presentation is the key in this low water year. Floated with Earle Sloan in the afternoon and we both got into double digits but we had to grind it out. The Ronald was the hot fly for me followed by the Lipstick for me. Earle did well on a new fly he came with, a red cinnamon bleeder.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 05-17-2021 at 04:54 AM.

Floated with Earle and it was slow. We got into double digits but averaged 5 per hour between us. Lots of anglers and several boats. Didn’t see anyone else hooking up. Caught some on a Bloody Maria and the biggest fish of the day on a Too Sexy. The Ronald and Lipstick were the other flies that worked for me. Btw, there are stripers around and a hole we were fishing totally shut down which was probably because some stripers moved into it. We didn’t get a bump for almost an hour so we moved on.

I guess from a boat you can see Shad and see Stripers at this low flow?

*I guess going up the big Sacramento river above and below Colusa would be the best bet to find Shad now?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Yes, it’s easy to spot fish in the low clear water. Suprisingly, a lot of the shad have been holding in shallow water with very little flow. Solo float today and it was a chilly start with the marine layer. Got into double digits but I had to work for it. The shad seemed to be scattered all over the place with no clear bucket. The Ronald got most of my fish today.

Hey Billy,
    I have a mini drifter that I bought from Scott last year. Perfect for 2 people. Haven't had it on still water yet. Has a motor mount and I have a 50lb troller. Need to get it on the lower Sac, too.

Let me know if you want to drift the American, we can swing some flies and see what we can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Gonzales View Post
    Hey Billy,
    I have a mini drifter that I bought from Scott last year. Perfect for 2 people. Haven't had it on still water yet. Has a motor mount and I have a 50lb troller. Need to get it on the lower Sac, too.

Let me know if you want to drift the American, we can swing some flies and see what we can find.
    Hey Charlie,

Good to see your name up here again! Hope Lucas is surviving distance learning. Just had Owen out at an Eastern Nevada fishery a few days ago, think he enjoyed all the driving practice as much as the fishing.

Hope all is well with the Gonzales clan.

Wayne

Solo float today and it was slow for me. Kienes guides Joe Vasquez and Jared Shakin were hooking up with their clients using indicators. Half of my fish were caught on the Ronald and the other half the Lipstick. A couple of the shad I landed had striper chomp marks.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 05-19-2021 at 05:23 PM.

Solo float today and it was dismally slow for me. Got only 4 in 6 hours. Not really sure what’s happening because it’s been a weird run (low flows and warm temps). I guess I’ll have to do some scouting down river.