Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2021 AR Shad Reports

I still argue that shad do eat while they're in the river. Sit on top of a school and watch how they will move to eat something as it drifts by, or, in the evening when they come up to eat an Elk Hair Caddis. I used to have a couple clients that I could get to skate caddis dries for shad. Its not a numbers thing, but its a lot of fun when you get them to cooperate.

Jay, let me know when you get back from Baja. We can do a drift for old times!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Gonzales View Post
    I still argue that shad do eat while they're in the river. Sit on top of a school and watch how they will move to eat something as it drifts by, or, in the evening when they come up to eat an Elk Hair Caddis. I used to have a couple clients that I could get to skate caddis dries for shad. Its not a numbers thing, but its a lot of fun when you get them to cooperate.

Jay, let me know when you get back from Baja. We can do a drift for old times!
    I agree. The other night I caught some swinging a caddis wetfly while Shad were sipping caddis off the surface.
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post
    I agree. The other night I caught some swinging a caddis wetfly while Shad were sipping caddis off the surface.
    That’s all you need for Shad, a red squirrel soft hackle or birds nest will do!

[QUOTE=Charlie Gonzales;202928]I still argue that shad do eat while they're in the river. Sit on top of a school and watch how they will move to eat something as it drifts by, or, in the evening when they come up to eat an Elk Hair Caddis. I used to have a couple clients that I could get to skate caddis dries for shad. Its not a numbers thing, but its a lot of fun when you get them to cooperate.

The best way Charlie!

Years ago before two handed rods Andy told me to skate a Prince nymph on a floating line during the last 20 minutes to light. I did that one evening in a tail out and it was a blast. Andy was guiding in his boat on the other side of the river and later I he told me later that saw me hooking up.

Did a solo float today and got into double digits. It was inconsistent but you would hook one occasionally. It took a lot of moving around and different setups: 25 ft of LC-13, 30 ft of T-8, indo rig and a Type 3 sink tip. Got 5 eating lunch and the line was just dangling (that how you hook a shad, e.g., answer your cell phone, eat a sandwich or look away and talk to your friend) Happy was with a client and when he drifted by me he told me that he saw a big school in a hole cruising around like sharks. The Ronald caught all my fish today.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 05-05-2021 at 08:53 PM.

Hey Charlie. I'm on it... I'll have to start tying up a few hundred flies. Jeff sent me the material list for his HOT patterns. All I have to do now is put the material list on to the hook shank.
    I'll be in touch with you soon
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

It’ll great to see the two of you together out in Charlie’s boat!

Yes, when we get older it's not just about fishing...........

Because the Valley rivers are low someone told me that the largest part of the Shad run will go up the cooler Sacramento river this year.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Only had a couple of hours to fish today so I waded a shallow run that I did well at this past Saturday morning. I could see them rising but I couldn’t get a single grab. I went down river to a deeper run and got several.

How far up the river are they currently? (E.g. If I only have 3 hrs to fish where should I go to hopefully catch my first one?)

NK