Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2021 AR Shad Reports

thanks Jeff for sending the information on the flies. All I have to do now is tie some up and head up to the American when I get back from baja in a couple weeks. Hopefully the water level won't be too high for this old man with bad knees to be wading out to far.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Did some scouting mid-river. There were a few shad but only a few were caught by Peter Villarreal and Ben Thompson’s clients. Got 5 to hand with the Ronald.
    It is always a pleasure running into you Jeff!
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Floated this morning with Earle before the wind really blew. It was inconsistent and we only got a dozen.

OMG! I tied with Jeff!
    I gotta write this down.

That wind was something else. My first spot was cool, wind blowing left to right kept the line off my head. Then when I moved to the second spot it was reversed. What a fiasco my casting turned into. I still got it done but holy smokes it was difficult.
    I think I LDR'd as many as I caught, weird day that way. Checked my hook, it was ok so I've got no explanation.
    Maybe I'll just blame the Russians.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Fished this morning and only got a handful. They were scattered and were all over the place. Chops was fishing below me and he found a bucket and was consistently hooking them. After he left I moved down and they were gone.

Any ideas on why small flies are the ticket? When I fished the Russian River a lot in the 80's and 90's for shad we all used the Stren and EdgeBrite flies tied on size 6 chrome 3906 hooks...sometimes even size 4. On the AR small bugs are the ticket...10s and 12s on short shank hooks. Were we doing it wrong back then? We used to catch dozens in a morning or evening.

As I understand it the fish, which are plankton-eaters in the ocean, don't eat when spawning so they go after the fly to get it out of the way. That suggests larger bugs should do better but I can't argue with the success of smaller flies.

What do you think?

I don’t know why small flies work but my friend Bruce from San Diego was tying smaller shad flies on size 10 hooks around 2007. That’s about when I was working on perfecting the Bloody Maria. Before that all my shad flies were size 4 or 6.

Solo float today and got into some big hens (biggest was 21”). Ronald McDonald got most of my fish today!

Small flies do work well for shad, but to suggest that larger flies "don't work any more" is not correct either. I do a lot of shad fishing, and have been for over 30 years, and I went with the small fly phase, and found out that it didn't really significantly impact my catch performance. Nowadays, I simply use a size 6 fly, just like the old days so I don't have to carry a bunch of different size flies in my fly box. But then again, I'm a firm believer in that old saying "it's the shooter and not the arrow" philosophy (of course I changed that old saying to make it politically correct).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonoman View Post
    Any ideas on why small flies are the ticket? When I fished the Russian River a lot in the 80's and 90's for shad we all used the Stren and EdgeBrite flies tied on size 6 chrome 3906 hooks...sometimes even size 4. On the AR small bugs are the ticket...10s and 12s on short shank hooks. Were we doing it wrong back then? We used to catch dozens in a morning or evening.

As I understand it the fish, which are plankton-eaters in the ocean, don't eat when spawning so they go after the fly to get it out of the way. That suggests larger bugs should do better but I can't argue with the success of smaller flies.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    I don’t know why small flies work but my friend Bruce from San Diego was tying smaller shad flies on size 10 hooks around 2007. That’s about when I was working on perfecting the Bloody Maria. Before that all my shad flies were size 4 or 6.
    I made matters easier for myself and have been using size 10s and 12s this season so far. I haven't experienced any issues with this decision.
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V