Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2021 AR Shad Reports

Fished early this morning and it was dead. I only got 4 fishing the spot I was getting into double digits the past few days. Bruce Porter was out in his drift boat and it was also slow for him. He let me row his Boulder Boat Works drift boat and I fell in love with it. If I ever get a full sized boat it’s going to be one of those.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 06-16-2021 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Fished early this morning and it was dead. I only got 4 fishing the spot I was getting into double digits the past few days. Bruce Porter was out in his drift boat and it was also slow for him. He let me row his Boulder Creek drift boat and I fell in love with it. If I ever get a full sized boat it’s going to be a Boulder Creek.
    This might be due to the spike in the flows that was at ~1810 cfs sometime this morning.
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Fished the same run as yesterday mid-morning and didn’t get a single bump. Talked to Bruce Porter who was in his boat and he told me that he got into double digits fishing a drop off all on a Bloody Maria. Fished another run mid-day in the blazing heat at got 9 using an olive Perdigon. I would have been burnt to a crisp but my Simms Solarflex hoodie shielded me and getting it wet cooled me off.

Fished a couple of spots this morning before it really got hot. Only got one so I think the run is coming to an end. I normally call it quits when I get skunked a couple of days in a row.

Looks like the shad run is over for me. Didn't get any today but I did hook a hot steelhead that almost took me to my backing. It's been a weird run this year with the low flow and warm water. Here's a summary of how I did this year:

Fished for shad 60 days in a row (81 days last year)
    Averaged a little over 14 per day (17 per day last year)

This is my last daily post but I'll provide an update if I get into them again. Let's all pray that we get more water next year!

Thanks Jeff for sharing your Shad adventures with us. I check each night looking forward to hearing what’s going on with the shad run and the catching.

I have been lurking on the forum for the past two months, just joined in order to thank you, Jeff, for all the fine reports. Also thanks to a number of people I met on the stream that were very helpful, giving me hot flies (thanks to another fellow named Jeff for his “Early Rise” and another fellow who gave me two flies, one called a caterpillar something). I was somewhat hesitant to make the two hour trip from Santa Clara to fish in a crowded urban environment, but quickly discovered that if the people are of high quality, they don’t comprise a crowd. I was only hooked once - by an over enthusiastic bobber fisherman who saw me catch two in a row and positioned himself 8 feet behind me!

Speaking of bobbers, I have an amusing story. One morning at Paradise I notice this bobber in front of me. Strange, I thought, as there were no spin fisherman in the vicinity, I did not see it float past me, and it seems to not be moving downstream. Concurrent with these flurry of thought I get a hookup. During the fight I notice the bobber disappears, than reappears downstream near my fish. I wonder if I have hooked a line attached to a fish that broke someone off. I was fishing three flies so easy to tangle someone else’s line. After several minutes I bring the fish to net, a striper, and sure enough a pink shad dart is deeply imbedded in his throat. But my line is not entangled with the bobber line. I was using Kwik Klips on the flies and the tiny gap in the clip had found the tiny ring at the bottom of the bobber and hooked on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A9EB06CF-10C3-4E6B-8DE8-6367C0277EAC.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	288.7 KB 
ID:	17121

This was my first striper, as I have never fished for them or shad. How many lifetimes would I have to fish to hook another striper like that?

Another question, I was hoping to catch more shad during this upcoming cooler weather. If they are done on the American, what are the chances of getting into them on the Sac around Princeton?

They are still being caught at Verona so I don’t see why you can’t get them at Princeton. Good Luck!

Hi Jeff, thank you very much for your posts. For a couple years now I check them nearly every day during the run. With the low water this year I did not get out many times because I am two hours away so I found your reports a great resource.

Not good on the LSAC from Princeton north. Run peaked in late May and only a few stragglers around now. Just like the American, slow year on the LSAC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post

Another question, I was hoping to catch more shad during this upcoming cooler weather. If they are done on the American, what are the chances of getting into them on the Sac around Princeton?