Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2021 AR Shad Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Solo float today and it was dismally slow for me. Got only 4 in 6 hours. Not really sure what’s happening because it’s been a weird run (low flows and warm temps). I guess I’ll have to do some scouting down river.
    They bumped the flows 100+CFS last night. I know an increase in flows in the past have made the Shad shy before. I am curious if any increase in flows with the current low flow would have an even more dramatic effect.
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Typically changes in flow will cause shad to move around to find something they like and will affect the bite for a day or two. This year had been strange and I think all bets are off on how they behave.

Captain Andy Guibord is guiding 'Monday through Friday' for Shad now in the American river.

He guides for Stripers in the American river.......

If you have not floated the lower American river it is a real experience.

916/849-1529
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Fished a run Mark Lynn told me that was loaded with shad a couple of days ago. There were so many that the shad were swimming behind him. I only got one so they must have moved. Ben and Happy came by with clients indo fishing. Happy told me that there were hundreds in a run upriver so I went there. Got a handful on a Perdigon style Ronald.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 05-21-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Hey Wayne, good to hear from you! We need to get out one day.

Hopefully, I will be back out on the river next week.

Waded a long flat with a riffle at the top this morning. Got into double digits with the new Perdigon Ronald. Saw Happy and Jared with clients working the flat with indos.

Charlie, give me a date in June when you are off. Starting in June I will have Thursday Friday and Saturday Sunday off

I’m still in Baja chasing fish. I’m hoping the dorado show up on our side. They are showing on the La Paz side. Some decent size fish.

I have to make a trip to Sacramento anyways to pick up some rods I bought from Bill

Let me know
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Fished this morning before the raft hatch. Got into double digits with the Perdigon Ronald. Stan Jorgensen and Jared Shakin drifted by me. There were some kids bobber fishing across from me and I saw them land one. They asked me what color I was using and if was a grub. I gave a Bloody Maria to a new shad fly angler and left when the rafts started to show up. Not a bad morning!

Floated mid-day with Earle Sloan and it was dead slow. We only got a handful. Went back out wading this evening and it was jammed packed. I got one and the 15 other anglers in the run I wasn’t fishing didn’t hook a single shad. Joe Vasquez was with clients and they were putting on a clinic a little up river using indo rigs.

So now you have to use an indicator to catch shad?? Besides getting constantly pounded in low clear water, what do we surmise has caused these changes in shad behavior and shad fishing?