Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2021 AR Shad Reports

Got 16 swinging yesterday, majority between 2 - 4 in the afternoon. Only one other angler nearby in the evening who was doing great nymphing with a new pattern of his. Bloody Maria got ¾ of my fish, Ronald McDonald the rest.

Fished mid-day and there were a lot more anglers out (all fly guys). The shad weren’t hitting of my shad flies so I used some steelhead flies. Got into double digits using a G3 soft hackle, G3 caddis pupa soft hackle, pink PT and a Swinging Ching. I caught a big hen with the Swinging Ching that slammed it so violently I thought it was a steelhead at first.

Soft hackles are money on Shad, you know that already! Late season Shad going after the river naturals, getting trouty!

Mark and his brothers all grew up on the lower American river so the should know.

Jeff Putnam likes to skate caddis dies in tailouts on calm evenings for Shad.

I have had customers catch Shad in September fishing caddis wets and dries for Fall Half-pounder Steelhead.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Went out to the hole I fished all week this morning and didn’t get a bump in an hour and a half. Went to another spot down river and got into double digits. No many people fishing and only one drift boat (Bruce Porter). Frenchie Ronald and pink PT produced for me today.

Fished the spot I did well at yesterday afternoon but it was packed with bobber anglers. Got a couple between the bobbers. Earle and I did a short float this afternoon and we planned to fish a flat that we knew had some shad hanging out but when we got there there were 9 bobber guys fishing so we couldn’t fish there. We tired one last spot that we haven’t fished this year because of the low flows . With the bump in flow there was enough current to get a slow swing and we got into double digits.

Low flow makes it slim pickings for sure. Glad you guys picked up a few.

Earle and I went back to the hole we fished yesterday and it was very slow. We only boated 8. I wet waded mid-afternoon dodging rafts and bobbers. Got into double digits fishing a couple of hours. Although the run seems to winding down you can still get them if you put in some work.

Fished mid-day and there was no fishing pressure. The was only one other angler who was a fly guy. Got into double digits using a pink PT.

Fished mid-day again. There were a couple of anglers (one fly and the other spin/bobber) and Bruce Porter in his drift boat. Talked to Bruce as he was dragging his boat up the riffle and he told me that he had a great morning. Got into double digits using a pink PT.