Thread: Back to the Lower Sac

Default Back to the Lower Sac

We did a three day float on the Lower Sac from Bonneyview to Bend Ferry. We did a similar float about a year ago when the unknown of Covid was crashing down on us and we did it now as Covid seems to be lifting. Kind of a nice way to bookend a pandemic.

After last year I was fired up for some PMD dry fly fishing and I tied up some parachutes I was pretty pleased with but the darn bugs did not show up and there was no dry fly fishing. Kind of a disappointment but that's fishing sometimes. We also got kicked around by the wind a bit which is never fun but there were some good moments. We had good campsites, grilled some tasty meat, swilled some tasty beer, caught a nice smallmouth walking up Cottonwood Creek and got this beautiful 19" rainbow about two miles above Bend Ferry. Good times.

Credit to my buddy for catching the fish and taking the picture. I am just good for holding and posting.

Last edited by John H; 04-12-2021 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    We did a three day float on the Lower Sac from Bonneyview to Bend Ferry. We did a similar float about a year ago when the unknown of Covid was crashing down on us and we did it now as Covid seems to be lifting. Kind of a nice way to bookend a pandemic.

After last year I was fired up for some PMD dry fly fishing and I tied up some parachutes I was pretty pleased with but the darn bugs did not show up and there was no dry fly fishing. Kind of a disappointment but that's fishing sometimes. We also got kicked around by the wind a bit which is never fun but there were some good moments. We had good campsites, grilled some tasty meat, swilled some tasty beer, caught a nice smallmouth walking up Cottonwood Creek and got this beautiful 19" rainbow about two miles above Bend Ferry. Good times.

Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing the beautiful photo.

Thanks John....

The lower Sacramento river is one of the most amazing fisheries in Nor Cal.

April/May and October are my favorite times to go but the local guides up there get people into fish year round.

It in one of the best places in California to catch large wild Rainbow trout in moving water.

Below the first dams from the ocean many Valley rivers have bugs hatching and baby salmon to munch on.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Incredible picture John!!!!

I like that picture also. There is a lot going on and the colors are great. The oar and the net help tell the story. The eye of the fish is just above the water line like he is peeking at you.

Sent you a pm.