Thread: Orvis C.I.Bootie vs Simms Zipit 2 Flats Bootie

Default Orvis C.I.Bootie vs Simms Zipit 2 Flats Bootie

What's your preference and why? Thanks in advance....
    Cheers

I have worn shoes for wading the flats every year since the 1980s.

At first there were no "flats booties"......so we improvised.

So we bought cheap import synthetic hiking boots that were soft and flexible.

Were worn long light weight synthetic pants and long sleeve light synthetic shirts.

Tarpon Wear was maybe the first serious light weight synthetic breathable flats clothing.

Some worn socks inside there boots to keep the sand from wearing off your skin.

I took 6 pairs of my white cotton socks and left them for the locals.

We left the cheap hiking boots too because all the metal on them would rust out.

We also use neoprene gravel guards with the long pants and hiking boots to keep the sand out.

Wading all day at a place like Christmas Island near the Equator with shallow white sand flats is very serious business.

I would want to take some socks and try on some of these flats booties in person.

If it is a serious mostly all wading trip you will need good booties.

Some trips are all from a poled skiff and you almost don't need them.

If these flats booties don't fit you right you will not be able to wear them after the first day?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Tabis for light wading and walking on slippery rocks. Flats boots for wading CI, you need good ankle support to wade all day long. Those orvis ones and simms zip ones don't provide enough support. I really like the Simms rip rap felt soled wading shoes, use those for guiding here in Hawaii.
    Don Memmer

I have the old Orvis CI Flats booties (which are fantastic), and do not like either the new Orvis CI flats booties nor Simms Zipit booties because neither have any penetration protection on the soles/sides of the feet for sharp objects (like coral heads). There are cheaper alternatives to these two new booties, if you decide to go the lightweight route. For heavier work (like the Korean Wreck) I use the Orvis Andros Flats Hiker boot. It's very good. But that's overkill for CI interior lagoons.
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaflow View Post
    What's your preference and why? Thanks in advance....
    Cheers

Thanks for the replies and perhaps I should qualify my Post.I normally wear Simms Flats Sneakers or Boots and have also owned versions of these by Orvis and Patagonia.I fully understand the importance of ankle support and puncture prevention afforded by this footwear,but this can be overkill on a clear sandy flat with no obstructions under foot (as WLREDBAND hints at).On a related note,the new Simms Liteweight neoprene Socks look great.

Quote Originally Posted by mems View Post
    Tabis for light wading and walking on slippery rocks. Flats boots for wading CI, you need good ankle support to wade all day long. Those orvis ones and simms zip ones don't provide enough support. I really like the Simms rip rap felt soled wading shoes, use those for guiding here in Hawaii.
    Don is probably the most up to date and qualified person on the Forum to speak to this subject. Thanks....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........