Thread: Lefty Kreh sent me these Bonefish flies about 40 years ago.

Default Lefty Kreh sent me these Bonefish flies about 40 years ago.

I was trying to pursued Lefty to co-host a group trip to Andros Island Bonefishing Club, one of his favorite places to go.

We corresponded some by mail and he sent me these Bonefish flies he used in that period of time.

They were size #2 and made with chenille bodies. They used larger Bonefish flies in Florida.

We never got that trip going because of our schedules.

He liked Spring and Fall to go there, May and November I believe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lefty.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	856.2 KB 
ID:	16955

I did get to fish with Lefty on the special "Sage Week" on Christmas Island 1993.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sage.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	16956
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

That’s a great raccoon tan you have going on Bill! I’ll bet that was something special to fish with Lefty.. you’re a legend in my book! I’ll see you next week.

That 1993 Kiritimati trip pic represents a bit of a "who's who" of that era Bill,and I recognized a young Lefty Kreh,but are you able to identify the other gentlemen? I'm sure many Forumites would be interested!
    Cheers

Hi Dynaflow,

This was one of my high points in my fly fishing life......these were some of the most important people in fly fishing World at the time.

I think I was the least famous person there.........but these guys treated me pretty darn good.

Bill Fitzsimons and I were invited because we had been to Christmas Island dozens of times, each.

Bill owned Taylor Creek Fly Shop in Basalt, CO....has retired and move to Florida.

Sage put this special trip together and invited their friends for a week to remember by all.

From Sage there was Marc Bale (head guy), Jerry Siem (rod designer), Bruce Kirschner (one of the owners ).

Sage sales Reps were Jamie Lyle, Van Rolo, Ford Rolo, & Carey Marcus.

Lefty Kreh and Yvon Chouinard (Patagonia) were the most famous, super cool guys there.

After dinner they would discuss past and future adventures they were going on. Us punks just sat around quietly and listened.

John Barr was there, from Colorado, developer of the "Copper John" nymph.

Randy Swisher was there too. He and his dad, Doug Swisher, have made huge contributions to our wonderful sport.

Bill Marts, one of the nicest guys in the industry, has promoted fly fishing travel for many years.

Bill had two fly shops up in Washington, then went full time into travel. He helped us get connected to some good places.

Val Atkinson, legendary outdoor photographer and consummate gentleman, is one of my favorite people.

Janet and Marty Downing were to most love people there. Janet had her own fly fishing boutique and Marty was the Cortland Rep.

One day I got to fishing with Lefty, Marty and Janet. Talk about a great day....and I love the flats of Christmas Island.

Lefty was teaching our guide how to cast in all directions of the wind. He never stops teaching fly casting...never.

For years the group always said that we had to have another Sage trip.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

How cool is this? Pretty cool and incredible in my book.

Damn straight.Wow what a lineup,and what a treasured memory for you Bill I recall a classic pic of Yvon Chouinard surfing a peeling right hander on Kiritimati,and (like many I suspect) treasure my coffee table book of Val Atkinson's "Distant Waters: The Greatest fly Fishing Worldwide".The late and very great Lefty Kreh taught the (now senior) Christmas Island Guides the art of fly casting,and I clearly remember giving my rod to English,my friend and Guide from fifteen years ago down at the Korean Wreck.....and watched with mouth agape as he cast effortlessly with either hand into the wind.Thank you Lefty for your great contribution to our sport.

Yes, Yvon brought two surf boards with him.

Yvon Chouinard is a regular guy.......extremely muscular little guy.......passionate about surfing, fly fishing, rock climbing, etc.

He wrote a book, "Let my people fish." Get the book and read about his amazing life and adventures.

He is the "real deal" and surrounded himself with a team of amazing people who built a retail empire.......Patagonia.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958