Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shad Fly

Default Shad Fly

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20210409_210037.jpeg 
Views:	385 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	16863

I just tied this fly based on the Bloody Maria. I didn't have everything in the original recipie so I changed it a little bit. Will it still work well? Is there a different pattern I should tie for the shad? Thanks!

NK

In the past 50 years all flies in general have gotten smaller.

Shad flies 50 years ago were tied in size 4 and 6 on 1x or 2x long, heavy wire chrome steelhead hooks.

Back then the Eagle Claw 1197N and the Mustad 3908C were the standard Shad hooks. Nickel or chrome hooks were used.

Back then local Sacramento City Fire Fighter, Joe Shirshac, tied thousands of Shad flies for local sporting goods stores.

Shad flies were tied with bead chain eyes to try to get them to turn upside down and hook the Shad in the top of the mouth.

The top of their mouth was a better place to hook them because the lower mouth was thin and the hook could pull out.

Over the past decades the Shad flies got smaller and smaller till now they are maybe a size 8/10 shorter shank hook.

Some locals like Andy Guibord started putting a caddis nymph trailer behind a larger Shad fly.

Today on most years the American Shad run in the lower American river is our best anadromous fishery.

May/June seem to be top timing but some can be caught from April through July.

Fishing early and late in the day or during overcast days can be more productive time for Shad.

Jigging or twitching the rod or line will give some action to your fly and might help induce more strikes.

Shad can show up any time now in the lower river......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Natekursow View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20210409_210037.jpeg 
Views:	385 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	16863

I just tied this fly based on the Bloody Maria. I didn't have everything in the original recipie so I changed it a little bit. Will it still work well? Is there a different pattern I should tie for the shad? Thanks!

NK
    That will fish! Next time try white thread for the thorax or something bright. Shad love bright uv flashy stuff. More importantly, have fun with it!
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Anyone fishing 2 or 3 flies for Shad?

Are 3 flies legal?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Anyone fishing 2 or 3 flies for Shad?

Are 3 flies legal?
    Yes and yes. Although it is easier to tangle with 3 flies vs 2.

Peter V

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post
    That will fish! Next time try white thread for the thorax or something bright. Shad love bright uv flashy stuff. More importantly, have fun with it!
    I can now just take my Pyramid Lake midge box to the river for shad...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    I can now just take my Pyramid Lake midge box to the river for shad...
    I know guys that do but they add a uv tail.

Peter V

To each his own but I like just a single fly. Once you've located them it's all about presentation. You dont have to lay out a smorgasboard for them. I hate hooking a fish then having it wrap on one of the other flys. Also I tie the non-slip loop knot, adding a second fly may take away some of that extra action. See what suits you best.
    "I never saw a fish I didn't want to catch"

I fish 2 flies all the time, not only myself but with my clients as well.

Doing a 2 fly system is pretty easy if you make your own main leader section then build a loop knot in the middle. Top is loop to loop to your sink tip, bottom is loop to loop with tippet that goes to the bottom fly, also this is a longer length of tippet, middle loop is the same, loop to loop with tippet to upper fly, this section is much closer.

It jigs really well, let's the flys move naturally and very easy to swap flies out if there are hitting 1 fly over another

My main line is 15 or 17lb red label Seaguar fluro, tippet material is 10 or 12lb red label seaguar fluro. This set up has landed more 2 shads at a time that I have lost count. Even better is it never tangles.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Clemens View Post
    I fish 2 flies all the time, not only myself but with my clients as well.

Doing a 2 fly system is pretty easy if you make your own main leader section then build a loop knot in the middle. Top is loop to loop to your sink tip, bottom is loop to loop with tippet that goes to the bottom fly, also this is a longer length of tippet, middle loop is the same, loop to loop with tippet to upper fly, this section is much closer.

It jigs really well, let's the flys move naturally and very easy to swap flies out if there are hitting 1 fly over another

My main line is 15 or 17lb red label Seaguar fluro, tippet material is 10 or 12lb red label seaguar fluro. This set up has landed more 2 shads at a time that I have lost count. Even better is it never tangles.
    I’m looking forward to checking out this setup on 5/31 man!

Peter V